field than the zoom does at 120mm. Maybe the most important

reason not to start with the zoom is that it has a very odd filter

size of 122 mm. How are you going to use your CC and CB filters

with that?

Note that I am a big Rollei fan (and have actually had this lens in

my hands), but I would hate to see you run into the wrong

decisions.

Ken,

According to my impression, the Rollei 6008AF is a fantastic camera, Rollei's cams are indeed very ingenious. But, the 6008AF (like the HASSELBLAD EL/X motor cameras) are better for tripod use. If you intend to carry your camera, a 6008 together with a big zoom-lens is ambitious. The question is then if you need the AF and the Variogon. I know that you have asked for a Hasselblad 203FE as well, this model is'nt cheap and less sophisticated, but it's still a superb MF amateur camera. If you are professional, please cancel my comments. I sold my 500 El/M because I mainly shoot handheld and don't need an AF or a motor. For this, the older mechanical Hasselblad cameras are still perfect. Sorry that I couldn't answer you question.

Thanks Erik for alerting me about the filter size. I never considered that to be an issue before but since I use a polarizer frequently while shooting sunrises/sunsets, that could potentially be a problem. I spoke to an agent today and he said that Rollei will be introducing a polarizer in the near future, but that would probably cost $700-800 or more...

And Roland, I realize that the AF and zoom may not be really necessary for my purpose. But I like the versatility offered and I am almost certain that I will be shooting some portrait photos of my kids in the future, and then these features would definitely become handy. I did consider the Hassy 203FE but it is even more expensive in Hong Kong where I live, and with its comprehensive lens lineup, I know that I will go bankrupt even sooner.

Ken, so far I like my 6008AF. My plan is to wait for more AF lens choices before I purchase a selection of them. Since I have had a long period in building my Rollei 6x6 SLR collection I am currently using my 6008 lenses (40mm, 50mm, 80mm, 90mm, 150mm, 180mm, 75-150mm and 300mm) with my AF body. For shooting people I prefer the 75-150 lens; however this is really not a hand-hold lens. I think for the AF zoom lens, it probably will not have better weight advantage than the non-AF version. For the type of product shots I do, I use the 90mm lens. It is great. I sometimes use the autobellow but I really enjoy using the 90mm. As for my solution in resolving the annoying lens/filter matches, I use a number of Lee filters coupled with Lee lens adapters. IMO, Lee filter system is one of the most versatile. Good luck.

Yui,

I did check with the agent yesterday and discovered that up to now Rollei has not introduced any filters yet for the Variogon. Since it has a huge filter size, about 120mm, do you know if the Lee filter system would fit the lens? Erik did raise a good point and I have now become more concerned with the odd size of the lens. I have had no experience with other Rollei or other MF systems before and never had I experienced any lens size larger than 95mm. If the Lee filter system would work then I think I would be fine.

Hi, Ken,

I just came back from a trip to Europe. I was using the AF body and I just got the 80 AF lens one day before my trip. It was an enjoyable combination. I had decided not to take the variogon because of its size and weight and filter size, and its redundancy. I have a 40, an 80 and a 150, plus a very small but superb lens the rodagon 120 and I find that there is no use for me to get the variogon.

regards,

Tak

• 2 weeks later...

Tak,

Perhaps it's a little off-topic, but how do you attach your 120 Rodagon? It sounds like an enlargement lens from Rodenstock so you would need the shutter assembly with those 39/40mm adapters, isn't that right? How's the image quality and also the usability, is it clumsy to use? Please share it with us.

For the 60-140mm AF lens, it was HUGE and that was my first impression and I was really wondering who wants a versatile lens at this size - 122mm front filter. Someone also mentioned that it is more prone to flare than other lens. Please buy it only if you don't have chance to change lens and needs AF badly; although I think qualitywise, it can still win 35mm alternatives.

-Dennis