Bronica ERTSi filmbacks or inserts

frank_kimble

Just took the plunge and ordered a ERTSi. For wedding/event use do I

need lots of backs or is it safe to just use preloaded inserts and pop

them in the attached back? I ordered 1 extra back with camera for

midroll film change. Price difference is $150 and could add up fast.

The last wedding I attended was being photographed with a ERTSi and I

asked the photographer how many backs he had loaded and he said just

1, that it was almost as fast to just reload. Could not find anything

close in the archives. Thanks

Frank: I use a GS-1 system, not an ETRSi, but I think the geometry for the backs is similar. First, loading while the back remains on the body is reasonably fast. Second, I would worry about light leaks in a pre-loaded insert as the full spool sits there under only moderate pressure and is potentially exposed to light sources. The risk would be greatest, I think, with 220 rolls, which would seem to be the preferred format for wedding photography (I've only shot one wedding with the GS-1, and it was a very informal affair for close friends -- not much pressure).

Why not try a used back or two? I only buy used equipment and seldom have problems with it, and it's sure less expensive.///Dick

Beware that Bronica has warned against using 120 rolls in their 220 backs saying that the film plane is different on these two backs. They said that it would cause focus problems only noticeable when enlarged. I have done it and others say they have as well for years with no problems. Maybe a sales pitch but be aware when chosing your combo of backs.

Dave

I have four backs and five inserts. Of course I don't have a clue which insert goes with which back. As for changing backs in the heat of shooting, changing inserts is easier than changing backs (at least I think so). However if you are going to make a mid roll change then you need other backs and inserts. Why, because when you make a mid roll change, you take one of your backs and inserts out of action until you finish out the roll in the back/insert.

Marcus J. Wilson