Need help in learning Adobe PhotoShop.

Hello,

Just recently got the nikon d100, so now trying to learn how to use

photoshop, current version 7.0, Anyone able to recommend a good

learning book tutorial, usually i see alot of these books in

bookstore and mega computer stores. Just wondering what most of you

guys learn photoshop from. Dont want to be buying all these

teaching books, just looking for a good all around book.

The Photoshop 7 printed manual (I am assuming you have a regular licensed version, not a volume license version that is supplied without manuals or CDs) is actually pretty good as a tutorial.

Otherwise, try Martin Evening's "Adobe Photoshop 7 for Photographers", published by Focal Press.

I don't know if the manual for 7.0 changed since 6.0 (what I'm using) or earlier. But, in my opinion I don't think the manual was ment to be followed from start to finish. I would suggest picking up a copy of Adobe Classroom in a Book to get yourself started. The Classroom line is a very good starting point for someone new to the program. Follow that and keep the manual close by so you can look things up as you go through the tutorials.

matt

The best around book, especially if you are new to digital imaging and the underlying

principles of digital imaging (color management, color workspaces, every editing

toolset, what a pixel is, image file types, etc.) is <B>"Real World Adobe Photoshop

7"</B> by David

Blatner and Bruce Fraser. I have

read the other books mentioned in this thread so far (and a couple of others as well)

and RWAP7 is the most

comprehensible and readable. <P>The authors don't make assumptions about what

what

you may or may not already know. An editor I work with recommended the book to

me and I'm glad she did. Her description was "It takes you in through every door and

out through every window in Photoshop." Bruce Fraser is evidently at least partly

responsible for the color management engine that is the heart of all versions of

Photoshop from version 3 or 4 to the present including the recently released

Photoshop CS (AKA "Photoshop 8"). Bruce has helped develop several colorspaces and

he is also one of the resident experts (others are Martin Evening, Katrin Eisenman, Jeff

Schewe, Seth Resnick and Andrew Rodney) at <a href = http://

www.imagingrevue.com> www.imagingrevue.com</a> which a professional

Photoshop forum.

I'll second Ellis' recommendation for <i>Real World Photoshop</i> as the best all-around introductory Photoshop book. It covers the vast majority of the program clearly and with minimal confusion.<p>

Unfortunately, the manuals have become less and less useful to new users as training/usage guides every version. The ones with v1-v3 were enormously better in that regard: v7's is a useful reference, but you won't get any 'how to' from it.<p>

There's also an entire category for <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-one-category?topic_id=1701&category=Books">"Digital Darkroom Books</a> here on Photo.net that you might find useful--some much longer explanations than you're likely to get here (because the question has been answered a lot).

I'm very happy with Photoshop 7 Savvy, by Steve Romaniello, and there will be a new one with the new edition of PS. I've used Adobe's Classroom in a Book for PS and found it helpful. Both come with CDs containing files to use for the exercises in the book. If you want to be very basic, some folks like Photoshop for Dummies. Good luck!