Does lamination retard fading?

I don't do digital photography, I'm still a film user, so please

forgive my ignorance. I was talking with someone today who had hired

a wedding photographer who used digital equipment, and she said the

photographer showed her a sample album in which the photos on each

page of the album were laminated. I'm curious - does this help keep

the photos from fading? Otherwise why would the photos in the album

be laminated?

Oh, and I don't see what the digital/film question has to do with it. I think it's just a

preference on the part of the person producing the album, knowing the photos will

get lots of fingerprints, especially as samples.

Hi Karen, perhaps there was some confusion regarding the digital photography versus digital printing. If the the photographer was printing on an inkjet printer using dye-based inks, they can fade rather quickly - some in a matter of a few years or less, depending on ink, paper, etc. A longer-lived solution would be printing using pigment-based inks like the Epson 2200 uses. At any rate, either type of print will benefit greatly from reduced exposure to air and light and could perhaps explain the rationale behind lamination. There are other solutions as well - glass and plexiglass as well as spray-on "protectors". Lest we think traditional color prints don't suffer the same fate, have a look at a 20 year old color photograph. B&W will hold up much better. Best wishes . . .

The package of the Epson paper I use says you should frame the image (behind glass) or store it in a plastic holder to keep the colors longer. The colors can fade due to atmospheric pollution otherwise. The prints should be allowed to dry 24 hours before framing or storing.

Jesper

Pigmented inks last alot longer than Dye based inks; but have less of a color gamut; usually><BR><BR>Lamination film comes in many types. Most films have littl or non UV protection; but offer smudge resistance; and protection from water; and splashes...............UV laminations film is available; it cuts the UV by a factor of about 5; and greatly extends the life of dye base prints; near sunlite walls; and vapor (fluorescent) lamps...............Also many of the premium UV films heat bond at a lower temperature; below boiling; and one can laminate much sooner after printing.........If printed too soon; the water vapor gets trapped; and ruins the print..............UV film can cost 50% to 200% more; most office box stores dont use it for run of the mill laminating! <BR><BR>Laminating causes the colors to pop off the page; like saturated colors....Sometimes clients DONT like this; and the printing must be redone less saturated; so they appear natural; after laminating............Most laminating films are naturally glossy; the reflectons do bother some people; and can distract from viewing under certain lighting conditions......The matte lamination films are available; the raw film cost is 1.5 to 2x more; the surface has to be brushed when being manufactured................................