Hi there,

I just started to get into analog photography and someone gave

me an olympus OM-101 power focus camera to start with. With

this package I recieved a standard 50mm lens, a power focus

35-70 and a 3rd party tele-lens. So not a bad start i think. I was

wondering if someone can tell me what kind of lenses can be

attached to this camera, i.e. which series and which ones are

still available, i looked around on the net but did not really find

any answers. I did find lenses but am not sure if they will fit.

Can someone help a beginner out? (uhm and no I am not able

to buy a different camera which ofcourse would solve this! :-) )

Thanks.....

Hi,

Most all Olympus Zuiko manual-focus lenses can be used. There were (I think)only two power-focus lenses produced for that camera, but it can also mount the eight Olympus auto-focus lenses.

Basically, what you have is a point-and-shoot that has to be focused. There is only a program mode, and there is no information in the viewfinder. There isn't even a program shift function. I think you may have a backlight control- that's it. It can operate as aperture-priority AE with the manual focus Zuiko lenses. You can get it to use Aperture-priority mode and a manual exposure mode only IF you get the "manual adapter 2" for the camera, (and use the manual focus Zuiko lenses, NOT the power-focus lenses)but you still get no info in the viewfinder. If you are going to get serious about photography, you WILL need to change bodies.

• 3 weeks later...

True, you may want to consider a body change in the near future but you do have a good selection of lenses to start of with. In fact, if you are just starting out you have the best compromise.

The 35-70 is not at all bad (relativley)and will serve you well for most stuff. As you find yourself wanting to expand you are going to have to get other lenses and, as already said, the OM101 wont meter with these. I suggest you get hold of a OM20/30/40 body (because they are cheap)if you want to stick with Olympus, and mix and match.

However, what you must remember is that photography is <u>done</U> by people! The best camera in the world will not take the best photos - after all they are only tools we use.

Enjoy your OM101.

Cheers

Cam

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I've own a OM101 as well and I've been using it for more than 10 years (under hard conditions sometimes) and finally, I have done many great pictures.

There are no (new) lenses available anymore, which can be used without a loss of functionality.

However, you can use the Zuiko lenses, but in Auto mode only (as mentioned already). Thats actually fine as long as you are happy with the automatic metering (you will be - as long as the scene is not critical). The main disadvantage will be that you cannot figure out which exposure time will be used (to see whether it's too dark or not to use no tripod).

If you don't have it already, have a look for a manual adapter (you'll really need it) to be used for manual metering and the aperture priority mode with AF/PF lenses.

Also have a look for the 28mm AF lens, it was my main one and can be used in all camera modes.