Do you use an UV-filter for your Noctilux?

I have just purchased a 2nd hand Noctilux (current version) and the

instruction manual does not recommend the use of filters.

I always keep a Leica or B&W UV filter to protect the front element,

and wish to do so now as well. Please let me know what UV-filter you

use for your Noct.

What ND filter do you use for daylight shooting wide open? I was

thinking of B&W 103 ,filter factor 8 = ND 0.9.

Thanks for help in advance.

Patrik,

I bought mine 2nd hand a few months ago, with a Leica UV filter included. the attached result convinced me to remove it!

It's a great lens, when used carefully. Think about what you want to see in your Noct. pictures, because if you don't focus on it, you won't see it! That of course is the Noct's grea charm for me.<div>006Mr9-15074784.thumb.jpg.538b50e74a0dee85130b7b1b3fde972e.jpg</div>

No filters on mine. In fact its resistance to flare is so good I do not use the hood

either. In difficult situations I cap it between shots. Judging by my Noct's

performance, the filter did cause the red flare in the above photo.

My advice with regard to UV filters is to do what ever makes you comfortable

photographing. After all it is the photos that are the important part.

My UV story YMMV:

I used UV filters on all my lenses for years. After a pro told me how useless they were,

I noticed that I had never scratched my filters. Off they came and not a moments

thought about it since. The only scratched elememt I have seen is from a dropped

lens having its UV filter break and gouge the front elememt. That does not mean s***

won't happen but it is not something to loose sleep over...

<<with a Leica UV filter included. the attached result convinced me to remove it!>>

Seeing the result with a B+W MRC filter convinced me to remove all my Leica UV filters and switch. You won't get any reflections from an MRC that you wouldn't get with the naked lens. All the arguments for not using UV filters flew right out the window with the MRC's...except for the one John mentioned, that is, if the filter breaks from impact the shards could scratch the lens element. However in at least my meager 35+ years of photography I've never dropped a lens or banged it hard enough to shatter a filter, but I did ruin a few lenses including a Leica 180/3.4 APO-Telyt (front group $800 for the glass, plus $200 labor to replace and collimate)by gently wiping with a soft cloth after using a camel's hair brush and a blower bulb--with a speck of grit that escaped all the above.

treat your lens gentally but don't use any filter on front. after all, many years later with thousands good shots, you can afford a few fine scuffs from gental cleaning. leica did not include an UV filter when they sell the lens to you - there are reasons to that because it reduce the lens performance. my 2 cents.

I used to believe in UV filters. As mentioned above, I never noticed any scratched filters and a UV once broke and scratched my lens when someone sat on my Halliburton case.

I don't use a UV lens on my Noct'. I do use a C-Pol as an ND filter, as I got it for $10 (4 factor). I use a cap.

I use a current B+W MRC UV filter, non-slim. I also use B+W ND filters. I don't even take the UV filter off usually to use the ND filters either- which must horrify the puritanical non-filter users here. The Noct vignettes anyway, and I haven't noticed an adverse effect really from doing this. Cleaning marks probably will happen if you clean your lens though, despite careful measures.

I had a nocti once, and used it without any filter. I treated it a little more carefully in the beginning, and made sure the cap was on when i was not shooting. Heck, I do miss that lens! One fine day, I'll get myself another one.

Logic says that if you pay a hefty amount for leica lenses, why spoil them with a filter in front of it? Then you'd better of with e.g. voigtländer lenses. Don't let the worry about the value trouble the joy of using the equipment.

All,

WOW! I have never seen such unanimous answers before, so guess I have to take your words for it, but will have a look at the MRC filter as Jay suggested.

Marc- when using an UV, which brand do you use? as well as ND filter, brand and strength?

Steve B- thanks for the confidence of filter choice.

ALL- how many of you use Lutz' STEER with the Noct?

Again, thanks.

When in bars I have used the leitz uv filter on my noctilux. Way to many drunks, including me. I have since tried using just the cap, but I always had a hard time finding the cap release tabs in the dim light by feel. I have since painted the release tabs a bright silver. A quick glance finds them in the dimmest light. I also use one of those little stick on buttons with the elastic cord. The cap hangs out of the way when shooting, and is right there to put back on when done.

<<treat your lens gentally but don't use any filter on front. after all, many years later with thousands good shots, you can afford a few fine scuffs from gental cleaning.>>

That's in the running for my top ten list of most absurd statements ever made on this forum.

Point? That someone who is so obsessive over image quality they refuse to use a high-grade filter so well multicoated you can't hardly see the glass in it (like the B+W MRC's)on the grounds it might degrade the lens' maximum image quality potential would accept a few coating scratches with placid resignation defies any qualifying adjective one could think of to apply to the word "ludicrous".

Jay,

You put MRC's on all your lenses? They range from about $30 to over $250 depending on size (B+H). I know you have a lot of glass. You could've bought a Noct' in place of all those filters. The E60 is $100. When I wanted to get rid of the CV 1.2 hood I had a choice of a $53 MRC or an $8 cap; guess which one I bought?

I do put filters on older collectible Leitz lenses, but nothing on modern lenses (Noct'. 75 'lux):

The coatins ARE soft.

Resale value.

I second the necessity of using UV filters on old Leica glass. The drip single coated

glass was very soft and easily damaged no matter how careful you are. So single

coated Leica glass need protection filters for sure. Whether you use UVs with

multicoated Leica glass is up to you. I think they switched to multi coating in the mid

to late sixties (?).