Lens repair

ebogaerts

Hello all - I had a question regarding lens repair. I was

considering picking up an older Nikkor-H 50mm F/2 lens for next to

nothing as a project. I've never attempted to repair a lens before

(this one has a sticky focusing ring). First of all, is this sort of

repair something that I shouldn't even consider, being a rookie?

Secondly, will it require the purchase of an expensive repair manual,

or are there enough internet resources available that would give

enough instructions to complete such a repair? Any and all advice is

greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Most fixed focal length lenses are not too difficult to repair. You will find some hints on lens repair in the repair article section of

www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum

The biggest problem is to avoid dust when reassembling a lens. Only a masochist will ever look through a lens he/she reassembled at home against backlight...

I did repair without any manuals, a minolta rokkor 50mm f/1.7 MC and a chinon 135mm f/2.8 in pentax k mount(oil on diaphragm blades for both). They were quite easy to handle,and now work perfectly. What I learned:

<br>1: you'll need at a certain moments helluva small screwdrivers

<br>2: to assemble back the focus helicals is a pain, i prefer not taking them apart - of course for you it's a must, since there lies your problem

<br>3: tiny springs like the one for auto diaphragma, just love to fly in the furthest corner of the room

<br>4: if you discover after the re-assembly that you ended up with one extra piece that is still waiting for its place, a small ball,a screw, a rod, something, sooner or later the lens will miss it...

<br>5: take extra care with the little balls at the aperture ring and at the diaphragma blades, they are reeeeally small and you easily can lose them / forget to put them back in place.

<p>

I also disassembled a tokina manual focus 70-210 <i>zoom</i>; now that's a completely different story. Much more complicated, lots of nuts and screws to fix the zooming ring and the focus ring in the correct place, a manual would come very handy.

<p>

Have to mention that these lenses were all around 3 euro and pretty old design... I would not try to repair without any good manual and testing possibility my 17mm af tokina, e.g.

<br>Good luck.

Here's a page with a hand-drawn exploded parts diagram for a 50/1.2 and a 50/1.4 Nikkor:

http://members.tripod.com/rick_oleson/index-102.html

There are also a few notes to help along the way.

Generally a lens manufacturer sticks with pretty much the same design for most of their prime lenses, so if you can handle one you can probably figure out the others. I found that to be the case with Canon FD and Olympus Zuiko OM system lenses - different from each other but generally consistent within a product line.

Zooms are a whole 'nuther nut to crack.

From looking at Rick's diagram I'd say the Nikkor looks relatively easy to handle. No worse than a Canon FD normal lens, probably much easier than a Zuiko (which tend to have one or two locking parts that defy loosening).

I had a cat pee in a camera bag once. She made a direct hit on a 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor-S - luckily, the lens was the only thing in the bag. I didn't discover it for about a week. The lens of course was shot, but I tried to take it apart anyway. I discovered that NOTHING in the world can loosen a lens locked up by cat piss.