"The perfect tripod / ball head"

r.s. adams

Uncle Sam is giving me (how nice of him) more of my money back than

anticipated, and I'm in the enviable position of researching the

purchase of a very stable platform for field work with my ETRSi

system. Requirments in order of priority: STABILITY, lightweight,

ease of use, compactness. TIA for the feeback, recommendations.

Tripod - one of the graphite Gitzo models WITHOUT a center column - they have models with a flat plate only.

Ballhead - Arca Swiss B1 with quick release

Release plates - either RRS or Kirk - Do NOT use the Arca Swiss plates. Personally I like the RRS plates.

There are other tripods than Gitzo. After several years of trying to convince myself that I really liked the collar-style leg locks, I bought two Linhof tripods and I've never thought twice about it since. Better and easier to operate leg locks, much more stable, easier to clean (no disassembly for mud removal), and some really nifty features not on other tripods, like a useable ground-level shooting method. The downside is that they are somewhat heavier and maybe less compact.

" After several years of trying to convince myself that I really liked

the collar-style leg locks, I bought two Linhof tripods and I've

never thought twice about it since. Better and easier to operate

leg locks, much more stable, easier to clean (no disassembly

for mud removal), and some really nifty features not on other

tripods, like a useable ground-level shooting method"

Linhof will beging making their Lightweight tripods again shortly.

The Gitzo 1349 is impressively stable, and with its 4-section legs closes down quite small. Can't see why other posters recommend against the centre column. My 1349 Mark II is very stable even with the column right up - which you rarely need to do because the legs themselves are so long. Definitely go for an RRS plate. I use a Uniloc 30 ball head with RRS clamp which is a rather lighter setup than an Arca B1 while still being plenty strong enough for - in my case - a P67.

My prejudice against the center column is from limited experience with Gitzo's quite a few years ago - I remember that the center columns had a slight wobble (minute) that never really was eliminated by tightening the collar (they may no longer have this problem). The 1348 has a height 0f 68" without a center column, add the height of a ballhead and you almost have to be the height of a "basketball center" in order to feel the need for a center column. The use of a center column shifts the balance of the setup (unless you take pains to level everything - sometimes we don't), and with the lightness of the legset there isn't much mass anchoring it to the ground (especially with a 5x7 or heavy medium format setup). I don't miss the center column on my Ries - I don't expect to miss it on the Gitzo. Personal preference.

Two added pluses of not having a center column: a minor weight savings (probably offset due to the solid metal baseplate), and reduced liklihood of pinching your fingers when closing it up (the pain factor goes up disproportionately with a decrease in ambient temperature) :-)

"Two added pluses of not having a center column: a minor

weight savings (probably offset due to the solid metal

baseplate), and reduced liklihood of pinching your fingers when

closing it up (the pain factor goes up disproportionately with a

decrease in ambient temperature) :-) "

Linhof, being a camera manufacturer making large, heavy

cameras for over 100 years and tripods for most of that time

make lightweight tripods whose center columns are designed to

be used fully extended (35mm diameter of the column is larger

then the leg diameter on most tripods) and don't vibrate and their

pneumatic columns can't pinch any body part.

Ditto to the comments regarding the Arca Swiss B1 head - a

great piece of equipment.

But, instead of the Gitzo carbon fibre legs, take a look at the new

Manfrotto Carbon legs (I think that it is called "Carbon One").

Same size, weight and stability as the Gitzo, but, IMHO, the leg

clip locks are easier to handle than the Gitzo screw locks.

Some comments on previous notes. The Manfrotto carbon fibre tripods are comparable to the Gitzo 1227 & 1229. They are certainly not comparable - in rigidity or price terms - with the Gitzo 1348 & 1349. My opinion for what it's worth is that you could probably get away with using 645 with small lenses on the Manfrotto or Gitzo 12xx. The Gitzo 13xx are more suitable for 645 with large lenses and heavy accessories, and where you need more height and / or rigidity.

It's true that the Gitzo 1348/49 have very long legs indeed. I find this very useful when needing the tripod up high, or when using the tripod on sloping ground.

There is certainly no problem whatsoever on my 1349 Mk II with the centre column flexing, even with a P67 + 165mm lens combo.

Been using my 1348 w/ B1 for a few months now. WOW, light and stable, helps tons with vibration dampening. I don't even worry anymore about critical shutter speed (as you can tell I use P67's).

I'm using the Arca Swiss quick release. Why do other respondants dislike this piece of equipment? I know nothing about the RRS or other quick releases.