Lens Shade Options for Rollei 6008i

doug_brightwell1

I just purchased a Rollei 6008i and three Schneider lenses... the

40mm Super Angulon, 90mm Apo Symar Makro, & 180mm f2.8

Tele-Xenar.

I'm not clear what the options are for lens shades. I just ordered

standard lens shades for the 40mm and the 180mm, but I see

postings on Photo.Net that refer to a Rollei bellows lens shade,

and some people have mentioned a Lindahl bellows shade.

Right now I use skylight and polarizer filters (77mm & 95mm),

but would eventually like to get into graduated effects filters, like

Lee or Singh.

What's available, and what's the recommended approach is for

maximum quality and flexibility?

Thanks,

Doug Brightwell

Doug:

I have given this a lot of thought. You need three filter sizes,; 77 mm, Rollei B VI or 67 mm and 95 mm to cover all the common Rollei lenses. The Rollei bellows lens shade only works with the B VI mount.

A much better bellows lens shade is the newest one from Hasselblad. This is what I use. You can fit one 100 mm square filter inside this. I had rings made by Steve Grimes, the machinist, to fit the 77 and 95 mm threaded lenses and I sacrficed and used the outer bayonet of an old Rollei lens shade for the B VI lenses. Additionally I have adapted the excellent Sinar 100 mm filter system with the same three filter sizes. Sinar makes adapter rings for the 77 mm and B VI and I had Grimes make one for the 95 mm size. For lenses long enough I can use both systems together with the Sinar system filter holder going on the lens first and the Hasselblad lens shade going on next with a plastic intermediary ring. The Sinar Filter system is great as there are three slots for filters including a sliding Grad. I had Bob Singh make some in a 100 by 150 mm size. They are wonderful.

I realize this sounds complicated but it answers all filter problems for all the lenses, actually for multiple camera systems as well.

If this interests you I can go into greater detail.

Ed Carmick

Hi Ed,

I'm having the same questions as Doug re: the new Rollei 6008i that arrived this week. Your comments are interesting, but I'm not clear on some of the details of your setup. Could you go into further details as you offered? I'm curious whether this same setup might be usable with my view camera as well. I imagine that Doug or other readers might also be interested, so I've posted this to the group rather than emailing to you direct. Thanks!

I'm still grappling with this problem. I have the 40mm and 180mm lens shades, but the 180's shade is too heavy (brass) and doesn't give as much coverage as it could (since it also works on the 110mm). One way is to go cheap and get the Lee bellows hood that holds one 4x6 filter (but this will likely vignette w/ the 40mm...can't verify it, though). I've seen Ed's setup w/ the adapted hasselblad proshade. I think if I pursue this further, I'd sacrifice the 180's hood to the machinist (have him cut off the end and use the Bay 104 mount) and have it adapted to the hasselblad proshade, along with getting a bay VI adapter made for the proshade, and then just using the proshade for the 90mm, 110mm, and 180mm lenses (they all use bay 104). I really like the bay 104 mount as opposed to threading a 95mm adapter to the filter threads (like with the Lee system). I think the 40mm's shade works fine as is (I lined mine w/ black felt...much better).

A really cheap, dirty but effective solution is to use matt black aluminium foil. Yup, looks just like black kitchen foil. Heck, it is black kitchen foil but the cinematographers use it for everything. You may order it from www.mole.com. Ask for the Great American Market brand. There are others.

Ed & Jim...

I'm interested in your approaches, but I agree with Danny. I'm

having a hard time visualizing them.

It sounds to me that, Jim, you agree with Ed's recommendation

of the Hasselblad Pro Shade, but that your variation on it is to not

attempt to make it work for all lenses (like the 40mm), but to use

it only for my 90mm and 180. I assume this is because the Bay

VI connection is stronger than the 95mm filter threads on those

lenses. That makes sense. And after all, the 40mm lens doesn't

allow for much hood extension anyway. Sounds like I could then

use either a screw in filter directly on the lens, or a 100mm

square filter on the Hasselblad shade. That right?

Ed... can you explain the Sinar filter system a little more, and how

the Hasselblad shade works with it. I'm having trouble

visualizing it.

Only a related issue...

Based upon shooting my first roll in my new 6008i yesterday, I

wonder just how much filtering I can get away with. I had a B+W

polarizer on the 40mm Super Angulon. I set up a shot that was

angled enough towards the setting sun that light directly struck

the B+W filter, even though the sun itself was not in the shot. I got

a tremendous amount of flare. I took the filter off, and with the

sun striking only the lens elements, the flare was virtually gone.

The quality of the filter was much, much less than the lens.

Much of my shooting is done with the sun near the edge of frame

or in the frame. I wonder what kind of flare I would get from

non-glass square filters and graduated ND filers? Anyone have

any experience with that?

Are polarizing filters more prone to flare than other types? Or are

there other filters available with better coating than the B+W? I

keep getting different stories from dealers. One swears by

Heliopan. Another claims that B+W is the best. I have a Contax

95mm polarizer that I am going to try out on the 40mm as soon a

step up ring arrives.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Doug

About the lens shade and filter systems. This all started years ago when I got tired of separate filter sizes for my Nikon, Mamiya and view camera. It meant about a half dozen different filter sizes. I got into the Sinar 100 mm filter holder which has slots for three filters including one for grads. Sinar has a polarizer on a metal square which also goes in but it takes up two slots worth. I have used this system for about 10 years and I have been happy with it. I sold the Mamiya and bought the Rollei 6008i. My first step was to buy the adapter rings made by Sinar for the 77 mm thread and the Rollei B VI. When I bought my 180 Schneider, I had Steve Grimes machine a ring to adapt the Sinar sytem to this lens.

About this time I started talking to Jim Chow via e-mail and we talked about adapting the Hasselblad Compendium lens shade to the Rollei. I took the challenge, buying one the these shades on E-Bay. Using the regular adapter rings made by Hasselblad didn't work. You need to use their 93 mm adapter ring as the model for the fitting that goes into the back of the Hasselbald lens shade. I had 77 mm and 95 mm rings made. For the Rollei B VI lenses, I opted for the ourer rollei bayonet so I sacrificed an old lens shade I got from Hadley Chamberlain. The Hasselblad shade will take one of the 100 mm square Sinar filters.

The third part of this was to mount the Hassleblad shade on the front of the Sinar filter holder. Grimes made a plastic connecting ring. On my 40, 50 and 60 mm Rollei lenses, I can use one system or the other, 80 mm and up, I can use both. This gives 4 slots.

My whole motivation was to have one system of filters to use on all my lenses and camera systems. These filters I already had. Jim's approach is to use his expensive multicoated flass filters that he already owns. Probably, Grimes could make an adapter that could use the outer baoynet of the 95 mm Rollei lenses. That was never my approach. With this system you can use the wonderful grads made by Bob Singh. Both his and the Sinar filters are 1 mm thick. His grads for my system are 100 by 150 mm which gives lots of play, up and down.

I realize that it would be nice to be able to see how this looks, works and goes together. It does work and works well but I did spend a lot of money on adapter rings. I hope this answers most of the questions.

Ed Carmick

• 10 years later...