Shopping in Japan?

RaymondC

Hiya

I am thinking of going to Japan. I am in NZ, things here are v v $$.

Hence to say it works out a lot if I buy via mailorder at B&H on a

F100. $900USD while it costs like $2300US to get here (eq).

So I am going to Japan for a break and to get some Nikon stuff.

Better than getting the stuff into NZ by freight having to pay

international freight and custom on pricey stuff - like the camera

body. Others should suffice to escape the charges thou.

So the Q is: any tips in shopping in Jap?

I am interested in a F100, lenses and tripod/head. Only Nikkor

lenses, and Manfrotto tripod, head please suggest? I intend to use

for long time, so something that can handle a big lense like a 70-200

VR f2.8.

Pay by cash or what? Any shops come to the head?

The difference in the power Hz should be fine as the F100 uses AA

batteries.

On travel, would it be a waste to buy pro film if I cannot plan

refrigeration properly. Tourist's awkward itineary ..

Raymond.

Hi Raymond,

I got some stuff from Tokyo last year. Great place for cameras. They are so big with lots of cameras & lenses even 600mm lenses on display. Very different to Australian stores that you need to browse catalogues rather than the item itself.

The main problem in Japan is the language. I was lucky as I had a friend of mine to go around and he did the talking for me.

Best places are:-

1) Yodobashi the web site www.yodobashi.com

as we can't read japanese, type F100 in the search area, then you'll get few matches with pictures and take it from there to check the prices. Try this link http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/i/oid2_5901433/17087.html

Do the same for 70-200

2) Sakuraya

All these stores have many branches in a town. For example there are 3 yodobashi stores in Shinjuku area itself!!! This area is usually good as it is for the local market. Akihabara is for foreigners, but I prefer Shinjuku and was recommended by my friend in Japan. Do not forget to ask English manuals.

Can be paid either by cash, credit or travellers cheques.

They have a funny point system in that when you buy an item eg for F100 they have 15% of total value as points which would be deducted from your next purchase. You need something called a Point card for this, my friend had this so it was easy for me. You may need to apply for one if you do not have a friend.

Any of those stores are good, shop around and get the best deal. They are all reliable. Can ask for deals and small discounts on bulk purchases.

I found Hong Kong as the cheapest place to buy Nikon gear. Even cheaper than Japan itself. I got a lot of equipment this year from HK by a place called Man Shing, very reliable. Got most of Nikon and other gear. Email me for details if requested.

Besides Japan is very beautiful & colourful. Make the most of it!!

Cheers

In Tokyo, there are several photo stores close together in the Shinjuku district, so this makes a good venue. Of course there are many stores elsewhere and in other main cities.

I usually patronise Yodobashi Camera. Their current price on a Nikon F-100 body is 129,800 Yen = 1,851.53 NZ$ according to ft.com today. (Tourist rate is not as good.)

A lot of other goods are cheap too. Kenko filters, for instance, are about half the price of the UK equivalent, and they have a good stock right in the store.

If you visit Yodobashi, you need to know that they have 3-4 stores in a small area. Some of them deal with computers, games, consumer electronics and so on. There is one store that carries all the pro-photography stuff. It had consumer cameras on the 1st floor, film and chemistry in the basement, and pro-35mm and MF gear on the 2nd floor, when I was there in January this year. (In Japan, 1st floor = UK's ground floor, 2nd floor = 1st floor.)

I have paid with cash or credit card. The assistants don't tend to speak good English, however they are very eager to please (especially when you are spending a lot of money). I have not tried to bargain with them, but they might give you a discount or some free film or filters if you spend a lot in one go.

Yodobashi also operate a 'Point Card' scheme. You collect points for your purchases, and can exchange them for free goods. You need a Japanese address, though.

Yodobashi also carry a full range of refrigerated film. Pro film does not suffer from not being refrigerated if you use it up quickly. Film should be processed as soon as possible after exposure.

Processing at high street outlets is quite expensive in Japan, compared to the UK.

The Shinjuku stores usually have English manuals available for equipment. I don't know if the warranty is international.

That's all I can think of but I hope it helps.

Raymond,

The first store that comes to mind is Yodobashi Camera. They have, in my opinion,

the largest selection of camera equipment for sale around. Their stores are only

located in the largest cities in Japan which wouldn't be a problem for you since you

will most likely be landing in the Kansai region or in Tokyo.

Their website lists the F100 for 130,000 JY (about $1100 USD). Here is the link to

their Nikon section (in Japanese) http://www.yodobashi.com/cm/13_5901222.html

To answer your questions:

1. They have anything and everything that you could want. It's a serious professional

store - you have to be careful not to overspend. Chances are you could just end up

walking around in a daze drooling at everything to play with.

2. Credit cards aren't that popular in Japan, but then again it is a really big store,

selling really expensive equipment so they probably do.

3. They might be able to ship any film or any of the gear that you buy, but they might

not be able to ship overseas. As far as I know you can't buy camera gear online from

them from overseas, but I am not sure about shipping abroad if you buy it here.

If you have any other questions about shopping here or travel in Japan feel free to

email me.

when you've bought, flat back all the boxes into your luggage and bury the recepts too. Get something like a lowe pro mini trekker and when you come through customs all your equipment will be 'used'. As for lenses, the world is your oyster - what do you shoot? Do you want to go straight to pro grade lenses? Think about Sigma EX lenses as well as Nikkor - a fraction of the price but not a fraction of the quality. Do plenty of internet research first and you'll be fine. Good luck

...and be sure to have your passport (and proof of departure date, i.e., airplane ticket) and request a "duty-free" purchase. This may get rid of the 'sales tax' on your purchase.

There are a couple of camera stores in the Ginza district, too, if you hike a few of the streets.

Actually Larry lives just down the road from me.

If you have a Visa or MC you'll be able to use it in any major store.

Yodobashi is the most famous.

Also, you might want to look at used equipment. Unlike the rest of the world, Japan is ripe with used equipment and it all looks brand new. You can pick up an almost new F100 for about 80,000 yen, or just under $700 US.

Check out Fujiya Camera or Sanpou camera in Tokyo.

Or, when you get to Tokyo just ask your hotel to find the place with all the camera shops. There is an area of Tokyo with just that.

Also, in Camera shops bargaining is perfectly acceptable. You can usually talk them down 5%-10% in price or to 'throw in' things of that value (filters, etc.).

Andrew

Well I for one am envious.

Two things I would consider:

#1 Take advantage of the used gear...some of the stores seem like mini museums.

#2 Pick up you gear relatively early in the trip to take advantage of it...I find Tokyo

and Kyoto to be some of the most visual cities in the world.

Thank you for so much help!!

I am thinking if I should do a stopover in HK to see some people. The tickets will be redemned off my air mileage points ;-)

So HK is a contention if its cheaper. What I did not know is, does HK and Jap provide international warranty?

Yes, I will bury the boxes and receipts. I could send them back. U know custom guys.

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

I live in Australia. Got a lot of stuff from HK. They issue international warranty for Nikon gear except for digital. Check with your distributor in NZ before hand. Apparently digital (Nikon) warranties are only valid in the country of purchase so I suggest to buy digital stuff from B & H as they have a good customer service compared to HK. Some tips for HK:-

1) Know what you want to buy & the included accessories as they try to sell them seperately at times.

2) Avoid shops in Nathan road, as they are mainly for foreigners without warranty (Gray), I think theses are unreliable. Need to bargain to get the real price, then they get angry!!! I found this information from a Google search or Photo.net search but I cannot recall the URL. Try and see.

3) Most professional photogs buy stuff from shops in Mong Kok rather than HK Island itself. Popular shops are Man Shing or Wing Shing apparently owned by the same owner. The prices are usually fixed but they throw in freebies depending on the mood of the sales person.

4) Matsuya camera is popular for used gear, I have no experience with this store.

5) Man Shing 852-2396 2996, ask for Mr Wong (Manager) who's very helpful. I got to know him well & even ordered a 500mm lens to arrive in HK within 5days without a deposit!!! The shop is tiny, but stock all Nikon accesories upto 300/2.8 AFS II, F5, D1X etc. They do not keep any lenses bigger than 300/2.8 in stock need to order them.

6) Check the original international warranty & dealers stamp before purchase.

7) Also make sure they've given English version. I had to go back as one of my manuals were in Chinese.

8) Make sure you visit Victoria peak at night in a clear day for night shots, Lantau island, etc

9) The restaurants are superb, with reasonable prices compared to Melbourne

10) Unfortunately we could not enjoy HK as much as we wanted to as it was the start of the SARS outbreak so we had to wear masks even during our friend's wedding, the reason we went to HK!!!!

If its not too much problem.

Can anyone tell me how much are the Lowepro Mini trekker or Micro trekker?

I am not getting a tripod/head anymore. Probably a F100, 50/1.4, 70-300/4.5-5.6. The 70-300 bit $$ at the mo. Maybe a 80DX external flash.

Raymond.

About one year ago, I bought stuff at Yodobashi, Shinjuku - Tokio.

One advice, you must know prices in the region where you live. Only than you know how much you gain (or not).

For instance,

- bought a Nikon 85mm f1/1.8 at about 40% of the price in Belgium

- bought a Nikon 70-300mm only at about 80% of the price

Looks like you have less profit on the "more commercial" stuff.

And yes, garantuee is international.

Travelling back I kept the camera on my body, having destroyed the boxes, but I did keep all papers and manuals (in English) in my suitcase.