Is there a optimum aperture for each leica M lens. I do believe each

aperture would be a workable aperture. However, should it has the

best one with excellent performance.

I would like to ask which step would be the best for

50mm F.1

35mm F2.0

75mm F1.4

Ray,

Do you mean optimum for definition, optimum for DOF, or optimum for some other factor. My point is, I don't believe your question has a simple answer. Only an answer for a given set of parameters, and even then, I suggest personal preference will come into anyway. Go take pictures. Then LOOK at them. You will see the answer much better! :-)

Cheers,

John

Ray,

concret example: 100 asa slide, 35mm f/2, street photography at twilight, the meter reads 1/15s at f/2. Will you really consider and pay attention to the might be better f/4 of your lets say pre-asph. lens and thus choose the 1/4s? Yes? OK then, you'll have a slide with a somewhat higher resolution. Theoretically. Why? Because you'll have missed the shot. Please read between the lines and take pictures.

Best regards, Karl

Just to generalize, typically all the pre-ASPH lens have the best performance in the middle apertures. The extremes as in wide-open or completely closed down will degrade the quality. That's why now we have the ASPH, which is claimed to be better. However, in real world I find it hard to justify in terms of price vs performance factor.

Henry,

I read what you say above, but, that assumes one consider "technical" performance as the optimum. I for one, frequently consider "aesthetic" performance as optimum, thereby needing quite different qualities from a lens. My point being, there is no such thing as "the best lens", only the "the best lens for a given task". Endeavouring to specify beyond this I reckon is futile, IMHO.

John

Henry:

You said,

"That's why now we have the ASPH, which is claimed to be better. However, in real world I find it hard to justify in terms of price vs performance factor."

In the case of the 35mm Summicron ASPH, I agree. There are some exceptions, though, to what you said. The 35mm Summilux ASPH is light-years ahead of the pre-ASPH when used wide-open. And the 28mm Summicron beats all versions of the 28mm Elmarit, when used at f/2!

As stated above the best aperture is the one needed to get the desired affect but from a purely technical point of view I would say that as a general rule most "M" lenses are at their best stopped down 2 or 3 stops.

At these apertues in most cases vignetting is eliminated or at least well controlled, contrast and resolution is at it's best and extended well to the corners, coma and barrel distortion are at their minimum or non existent, etc. By f8 and beyond resolution begins to deteriorate, contrast is lessened, etc. If the highest technical performance is the only consideration an aperture of f5.6 should not be to far off the "sweet spot" of most lenses.

From a purely techncal point of view, what you should do is to test seveeral lenses

ofthe same type and model, at all apertures and then choosethe one that works best

and make notes about the performance at various apertures. This is known as "cherry

picking" and is what a lot of professionals do. I a mnot saying that a photographer

might own 2 or three 35mm f/2 Summicrons , with different best apertures, butthat

they will test several 35mm f/2 Summicrons and then choose the one that performs

best, and they will have notes about which aperture gives the highest resolution, and

when they have the luxury of using that aperture will do so.<P>A general rule of

thumb is that all lenses regardless of manufacturer tend to technically (resolution,

MTF and contrast) perform best about 2 stops down from wide open.

Maybe in reality (considering that tripods ,it seems, are anathema to classic *Leica practice*), the optimum aperture (for sharpness) will likely be the one that overcomes the photographer's shake/unsteadiness ... of course that's a different *number* for everyone. (It's always seemed, that regardless of all the niceties of optical considerations, the big leveler is camera motion!)

"This is a premium example of a question that serves no useful purpose. The optimum aperture for any given lens is the one that you need to use to take the picture you want to take. Where's PK?"

Al, please re-read the original question from the poster :

"Is there an optimum aperture for each leica M lens. I do believe each aperture would be a workable aperture. However, should it has the best one with excellent performance. "

I couldn't possibly misinterpret the question in what the poster wants to know. How in the world there were such diverse answers from this board ranging from philosophy , to art, to anything other than a simple answer.

<<Is there a optimum aperture for each leica M lens>>

Yes, it's the one you need to get the DOF or the shutter speed you need to make the shot work. One more reason why the M7 with AE lock is my favorite, as it lets me pick an aperture and not have to vary it a 1/2 stop up or down because of the full-stop shutter speeds.

Ray seems to want a more definite answer than we can give

him, but we can still offer some help: He's asking, I assume,

about sharpness in circumstances where he has a wide choice

of aperture & shutter settings & is not primarily concerned about

DOF. Besides the Erwin Puts site, consult www.photodo.com,

under "Products," for Leica lens tests (& many others) using the

equipment at the Hasselblad factory. We're given no serial

numbers or ages for the lenses tested, and N is presumably 1,

so the results must be taken with several grains of salt.

Nevertheless you can get general ideas from Puts & Photodo

about which lenses are more useful wide open, & which must

be stopped down to f4 or f8.

Kirk

The Noctilux has its highest sharpness at about F5.6 ; but at this aperture; most all modern 50mm lenses work real well thus the question is abit goofy; in the sense because what optimum are you asking about????????..............If I is was to use my Noct at f5.6 all the time; I might as well use the slightly better Summicron @F5.6 ; which costs way less; and weighs ALOT less too......................................................................This is like asking where modern cars get their best gas mileage; at constant speed; on a long drive............It is usually about 40 to 45 MPH........; but almost nobody goes that slow; steady state at that speed on a freeway; plus many states have a 45 MPH minumum speed on highways..............

To my astonishment, I got so many replies.

My expected answer would be closed to Perry's one. I only focus on optical performance, not for shutter speed combinations. Thus I may search for MTF for each lens.

Thank you so much for all of you.

Best wishes

<b>"Al, please re-read the original question from the poster :"</b>

<p>Why?

<p><b>"I couldn't possibly misinterpret the question in what the poster wants to know. How in the world there were such diverse answers from this board ranging from philosophy , to art, to anything other than a simple answer."</b>

<p>I don't think I so much misinterpreted it as I did take it as a stupid question. Read Jay's response for an elaboration on my answer.