Tamron 28- 75 f2.8 for 10D??

neil_browne1

Considering the price differential, the Tamron is an excellent choice and is very good from f/4 down. A little soft at f/2.8 but not bad. Can exhibit a slight yellowish cast in daylight, but sharpness and contrast are nice. Certainly for $330 it can't be overlooked. It won't match the L glass, but it's a great alternative for those on a budget but wanting something faster than Canon's consumer offerings.

Also the Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 (not 24-70) is very nice. But it may have to be rechipped for 10D if you buy it second hand.

thanks for the comment..

I have a sigma 28-70 2.8, and I've had it re-chiped then the focusing stoped

working reliably. This has happened before and I've paid to fix it. I need to buy

a new lens..want the L lens, but if the Tamron is good, I might gamble. Iwas

just hopping someone had experiance with this lens

You may not need it (and didn't ask about it) but I think that the 17-40/4 is a must have lens for the 10D. If I were to buy the 10D I'd buy it as my first lens. It's the closest you'll get to a normal zoom (28-70) with the 1.6 crop factor. Ah, finally a relevance to the question you did ask.....

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

I'd be thinking of something like a 17-40, and while the f4L is expensive it's not too extreme. There are aslo good offerings from Sigma and Tokina. Haven't heard if that new Tamron is any good.

I often use a Tokina 28-80 ATX f2.8 on my EOS33, it's pretty darn good, I've no intention of shelling out on the Canon zoom.

I had the Tokina 28-70 SV, but I bought the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 in addition because

of its good reviews and its light weight. I did a comparision of the two, along with the

Canon 50 mm f/1.8. You can see it at

http://home.comcast.net/~wrabinovich/lenstesting.html

The Tamron is a very good performer. I highly reccommend it.

-Will Rabinovich