Forest Fires in Northern Rockies

thomas_jakubowski

I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks

after Labor Day, and would appreciate some advice regarding the

dangers posed by the forest fires in SW Montana.

Having lived in Idaho for a short time recently, I know where I want

to do my photography; Northern Idaho (Salmon and Bitteroot NF's) are

not interesting now. Is it just plain dumb to put myself in harm's

way? What's the prospect for fires in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

NP's this season?

What about the Canyonlands in Southeast Utah?

Any advice?

Tom Jakubowski

No one can tell you if you will be in harms way in Yellowstone or the Tetons after Labor Day at this time. However, the West is having its worst fire season in the past 50 years and the prospect of that changing doesn't look good. If anything many are expecting worsening conditions "until the snow flies". Currently there are several fires burning in Western Montana and Central and Southern Idaho. If this continues I would probably be more concerned about air quality than I would about being scorched. If your plans are flexible I would wait until the last possible minute before deciding where to go. If you're going for fall colors I would check with rangers before heading out as with the extreme dry conditions out West I would question whether or not the colors will be any good this year.

I was planning on going to the Tetons this fall and right now am wondering if the trip will be worth it.

Living in the Northwest it's rare that I hope for rain but I would gladly like to see a weeks worth of wet as soon as possible.

Tom,

I would not worry about fires in Yellowstone. Since the Yellowstone fires of 1988 reduced the fire danger chances are not great that it will be burning. However, with active fires West and Southwest of the park the problem with smoke haze is likely. I was going to visit this week but decided to wait until Sept hoping for a weather change. Last Fall I was in Grand Teton park hoping for some good photo ops but the park service decided to do a prescibed burn which is good for the ecosystem but bad for photos. I would call Park Headquarters or go to their website.

For what it is worth, much of the west (if you are downwind) has been impacted by fires that are not even in the local area. Many of the bigger fires in Colorado have been either controlled or put out, but the haze has been pretty bad for several weeks in the Boulder area. We get a clear day after some rain, but the rain has been rare. I drove from Denver to Salt Lake City via I70 last week and could not even see the La Sal mountains to the south of I70. You would have better luck waiting a while, hopefully. But, if you are going to call around, ask about air quality or clarity.

My experience tells me that yes, it is dumb to put yourself in harm's way. That doesn't always stop me though.

Also, there was some mention of public lands in Montana being closed to the public by the governor this past weekend. Anyone know any details?

Looks like Highway 89, the road between Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, has been closed. Flagg Ranch has been evacuated. Also, no campfires of any kind are allowed in the parks right now. They've restricted smoking, as well.

I'll be starting a five week vacation on Labor Day in Grand Tetons, so I'm a bit concerned myself. I'm still going, though. The parks are still open and the other entrances to Yellowstone are still open. I'll probably call the parks before I head up to make sure.

More info here: http://www.nps.gov/yell/press/index.htm

I just returned from N. Utah, Wyoming. Fires were springing up all over! They even closed I-90 for several hours, in Wyoming, due to fires crossing the interstate. I-80 was okay but We spotted a new 1 on our way out of Salt Lake City. In less than 10 minutes the entire butte was covered in smoke! No kidding! This stuff goes fast and is dangerous! Southern Utah is also very dry and all over, crackling golden brown conditions. North toward Tetons and Yellowstone the smoke is truly dark and thick. I can't recommend the trip for photo purposes unless journalism and firefighting is on your list.

<p>I just called the Grand Teton fire center about current conditions. My question was whether it would be better to delay my trip a few weeks. Interestingly, the fire information officer told me that this is actually the beginning of their traditional fire season! So, things could get worse. The fire season doesn't end until it snows, and they don't expect any significant moisture for a couple of months. So, it looks like mid to late October is the best time this year. </p>

<p></p>

<p>Unfortunately, I can't delay my vacation any further, so I'm following my original plan of being there starting on Labor Day. The officer said that there were periods of clear air, usually in the mornings, but that the afternoons were usually hazy. It really depends on the weather. She also mentioned that you have to be flexible since road closures could come at any time. If nothing else, the sunsets should be great.</p>

<p>More info here: <a href="http://www.tetonfires.com">http://www.tetonfires.com</a></p>

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

As promised here's my location report:

I got into Jackson, Wy yesterday and the weather was great. I was at the Snake River Overlook this morning for Sunrise on the Teton range. No discernible haze. Things look good. There are strict fire restrictions in affect, but things seem fairly normal. The park isn't very full, and the campsite aren't filling until the late afternoon. Yellowstone didn't fill at all. The weather forecasts are for morning sun and afternoon thunderstorms. Lizard Creek campground is closed, but Flagg Ranch is open as is the south entrance of Yellowstone. No fall color, though. I'll check the site on Tuesday or Wednesday from Jackson's new library computer center if anyone has any questions about current conditions.