White residue on MP curtain normal?

v.c.

I just purchased an MP from an authorized Leica dealer. The curtain

has an odd white residue that is "soaked" in. Is this a normal

finding? The advance lever also has a few small nicks. I would have

thought Leica's quality control would be better than this, but maybe

I've expected too much. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Victor

I agree with Andrew Hall

My M7 have a few problem too

1. In the viewfinder, I see a Big dust and cannot blow out

2. Hood is not center, it is incline

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love Quality of Leica Lens, and I hate the Leica Q.C.

Pardon for Poor English ;-)

Victor

The stain is not normal, and the camera should be sent back to the dealer for immediate replacement - depending on the trading laws where you are.

I know it's easy for me,living in central London,UK, where there are probably 10 Leics dealers within as many miles, but why did you buy such an expensive item 'sight unseen'?

Now you will find out how good the dealer used,really is!

Good luck.

Regards

Bruno

And yet another "I know my Leica's broken/defective but please convince me it isn't so I don't have to send it back" thread?

Victor, if you order soup in a restaurant and it comes with a dead cockroach floating in it, do you:

a)whip out your cellphone and call several of your friends to ask their opinion

b)run to the nearest internet cafe and post a question to a forum

c)call the waiter over and send it back

Jay's comment is dead-on. I wish I didn't have to return it, but obviously I must. The camera had been on backorder for more than two weeks, and I can't wait that long again.

To answer a couple of the questions, I purchased it online because there is no local camera shop that currently carries the MP. Also, I've had the camera now less than a day. The dealer shouldn't hesitate to accept the return. We'll see though.

See if www.bhphotovideo.com has it in stock, that is if you have the funds/credit available to order right away. Those things are expensive. Was this a brand new MP? That's simply boggling. Guess I'll hang on to my nice M6 TTL examples.

I've also read where someone has had a film advance problem whereby the MP would only advance the frame 75% of the way, and another where the meter wasn't activated until the shutter release had been pressed. Marketing hype more than mech. perfection.

I'm sure the manufacturing process leaves much room for human error.

Here's the update. The issue was resolved fairly easily. It seems unlikely that the camera was a demo item. Adorama had sent me the camera immediately after receiving it from Leica. I called Leica and they confirmed that Adorama shouldn't have had enough time to mess with it.

Most likely, the quality control is simply poor. The Leica representative admitted that they have had problems meeting the demand.

Although it is probably not Adorama's fault, they decided to send me their last MP immediately and reimburse my return shipping.

Although Adorama has a good return policy, I have found that they almost always back order Leica gear. I waited over 5 weeks, and finally canceled an order for an M6TTL and a couple of lenses early last year.

OTOH, B&H also has a great return policy, almost always has items in stock, and usually beats Adorama's price.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I received my new MP. It has the same spatter although much less severe. On this camera, the spatter is throughout the curtain surface and not just limited to a frame's area. I'm keeping this one, but I'm sure I'll have difficulty selling it if I ever want to.

• 3 months later...