UFO (Unusual Fiery Object) in picture - Closeup

brambor

If I remember it correctly it was around 9:00AM. We were at altitude of about 8000 feet and also crossing some snow fields. It is possible that I hade a water droplet on the filter but it did not show on any subsequent pictures and I took many...

Actually your original picture was over 300 Kbytes and that's why it was deleted! 500 pixels is fine, but the size limit is 100 Kbytes (it's in the upload box if you read the text there).

The prismatic nature of the spot (goes from blue to red via the usual rainbow colors) suggest it's the result of some sort of refraction, either through a liquid (water drop) or some other transparent material.

It could also be lens flare of course.

I think that the sun was very high. The light was very bright throughout the day. I'm not sure which way I was facing with respect to the sun. I shot around 100 on that day. I think that the droplet of water sounds like a plausible explanation.

I found the effect when I was browsing through the pictures and throwing out those that were bad. This one was about to be deleted until I found the 'UFO'. I kept it for the purpose of this post.