Epson 1270, roller leaving black blots on prints

I have an Epson 1270 has a few problems, which are rendering many of

my prints useless. I emailed Epson and got no reply.

The tenth roller from the right (the grey ones that run over the

paper before it reaches the print head) on my printer is picking up

ink and leaving black blots on my prints, and it gets worse towards

the end of a print.

I was thinking that replacing the pads on the left and right end of

the printer carraige might help. Especially the one on the right

(which appears to be attached to a drain?) is completely saturated. I

blotted it and came away with a lot of ink. Is there a source for

these? They appear to be difficult to remove.

Occasionally I get little white marks that appear to come from one of

the metal cogs, is this repairable?

Actually what seems to happen is fibers from paper, and ink residue accumulate on the tabs that the rollers are attached to and form a kind of felt. When that detaches it gets on the roller and causes blotches. You can clean it off with some q-tips and run some paper through until it's gone.

Steven, thanks for your answer. I got i there and cleaned it as best I could. The first box of Super B Glossy Film I bought came with a cleaning sheet, it's long lost any stickyness, are those still available? It seems like that might be even better than running regular paper through it.

I have a 1270 and have had a similar problem. Q-tips with a light amount of rubbing alchohol helped. I also tried holding the Q-tip gently against the grey roller as it printed. Be careful not to let the tip get caught. I echo the suggestion of running blank paper through the printer. I'd use cheap copy paper, not photo paper until the prob clears.

>> Occasionally I get little white marks that appear to come from one of the metal cogs, is this repairable? <<

Scott, I followed a set of instructions that I found on the internet and removed the three sets of "pizza wheels" from my 1270. It functioned perfectly for nearly two years until I sold it a few weeks ago. The URL is at home, I'll pick it later and paste it to another message.

AFAIK, the blotter pads are not user replaceable but the folks at the 1270 Yahoo group might know.

• 2 weeks later...

My 1270 is doing this right now (again). Cleaning it up is the easy part, but how to

prevent it from happening in the first place? I just cleaned the rollers and on the very

next print ink was resprayed onto the rollers. Maybe this is a head-clog problem?

I decided to take the printer apart. The rollers are attached to individual plastic parts that are each held in place by a little metal paper clip / spring like part. The metal clips are held in place at a 90 degree angle behind the orange belt.

The clip that held the plastic housing that held the roller that was smearing the ink was out of place. This was putting the roller only a millimeter or two out of place, where it picked up ink from the print head. I got a needle-nosed pliers in there and put the clip back where it belongs.

My printer is now working correctly again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have similar problems with Stylus 870. Cleaning the rollers with Isopropylalchohol helps somewhat, but only for a period.

I have noticed that some of the black blots have a transverse 'direction' indicating that the dots are dropped by the printhead during a linesweep. This is worse as it cannot be removed by cleaning the rollers. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Regards Joergen Knudsen