Buying "direct import" Leica from Germany

patricks

I've been offered a NIB M7 for $1,600 (serial # 28841xx - impossible

to know if it has the new MP VF or not until one inspects it). It is

a considerable saving over one from US retail price, even if those

come with the gorgeous Passport warranty.

What is the community's take on direct import? (comes with Leica

International warranty papers)?

Paying $2,400 at a Leica Day Special is the other option...

That's a great price for a Leica MP even without the Passport Warranty. But I don't recall when the DM was less than the US dollar to give such a deal. As far as I know, you have to send it back to Leica Germany for any warrantee work which is only covered for a year.

Patrick, I'll be moving and changing my name next week, but if you hurry, you can send me $50 to cover shipping and handling, and I'll send you a new, in-box M7 for inspection. If you include a credit card number and your SSN (your bank account number will be on your check), I'll include the new 35mm Noctilux for free. ;-)

There was a scam awhile ago on digital cameras where the seller would ship the camera to you and then receive the money. It turned out he was buying them with stolen credit cards from a legitimate source and having them drop shipped to the "buyer". Once the legitimate shipper realized the credit card was stolen, they could legally demand payment or return of their camera leaving the buyer out the money they had sent to the seller. Be careful

George,

I've bought brand new gear of all kinds up to $1000 in its factory packaging from the NL, UK, and HK, and didn't pay a dime in duties. Now, I don't know if the Customs are being slack, or if it's legal if the items are not for resale and are for personal use.

Steve