canon 1Ds too cheap??

neil_browne1

Yes this is a scam and at a price of $1600 for a 1Ds, not even a good one. A few weeks back I waslooking at a Fuji S2pro that was bargain cheap. Sometimes you fall on a person who doesn't have a clue, but not in this case.

First they hack into someone's profile and then post a private auction for pre-aproved bidders. then when you E-mail them to ask to be approved they tell you they have several of them ...blah, blah blah. they ask you to Western Union the cash to some obscure address in Spain and they will even pay the shipping. the first clue this is a scam is the price, the second is the history of the seller. In my case the seller had over 100 positive feedbacks, but by selling needlepoints, quilts and other garage sale junk. What does a person like that know about Digital SLRs.

This one is getting so obvious that someone even wrote a booklet about it and was selling THAT on Ebay.

I can't believe that Ebay hasn't found a way to stop this from going on.

Just ask them more and more annoying any complicated questions to give them a hard tme and distract them from posting more scams. I did that for a while and had a real hoot doing it.

A 1Ds costs what it costs.

Weren't we told by some one at one point or another, that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't?

We are not talking about an ad in your local classifieds. It reminds me of what happened to my Dad many yeras ago. He saw an ad in the classifieds. A Corvette, fairly young at the time. $1,200. My Dad called, it seems that the car was as advertised. An ugly divorce. She had title, he didn't. And the $1,200 was the asking price; and was sold by the time my Dad called.

Sometimes bargins can be found. I just don't think Ebay is the place to find them.

You can find bargains on eBay (though that partly depends on your definition of

'bargain', of course). I've just bought a D60 plus a 24-85 lens for £840 - that's GB

pounds. I've seen bare D60s sell for a bit more than that, in the last week or so. I

think what happened here was that the seller didn't present the information very

effectively (the inclusion of lens was mentioned in the auction title but was not in the

photos or in the item description, for example) so I think that maybe other bidders

assumed that the auction was for just the body.

And I've just sold some Voigtlander RF equipment on eBay. I put what seemed to me

to be a reasonable 'Buy Now' price on each item, and they've all gone within 2 days of

the auctions starting so it's quite possible that I set the prices a tad low. But I'm still

happy with what I've got, and I assume the buyers reckon they've got a good deal as

well, so we're all happy.

it is a scam, allright...

To be perfectly honest, I probably wouldn't use e-bay to buy / sell camera equipment.

Most of what I buy used comes from either a reputable camera shop (Park Cameras: www.parkcameras.com) where I get one-to-one service and advice plus a warranty on the item, or from friends that I know well, know how they treat/use their kit and can try before I buy.

I'm through buying camera equipment on Ebay for good. I just got burned for a second time by a seller with impeccable (250+) positive feedbacks with no negatives, in the US, grossly overstating the condition of equipment. My "like new" camera arrived looking like it had been though a garbage disposal. The multiple pictures on the auction mysteriously didn't show any of the damage. The last time, I had the buyer refund me half the purchase price. This time, the buyer has a return policy, but after deducting shipping back and forth and the Ebay fees, I may as well turn around and sell it for what it's worth. Believe me, there's a reason places like KEH stay in business with prices that are (sometimes) higher than Ebay.

<p> This time, the seller has simply stopped responding to my e-mails. I paid via credit card through PayPal, and I suppose I could get my money back if I tried, but it's just such a hassle that I'm through.

• 2 weeks later...

I ALMOST got sucked into the scam. Thanks so much for this helpful advice. I have emailed probably 5 different sellers on Ebay who advertise the 1DS as low as $1,100.00. My gut feeling really took over here and realized this is just too good to be true.

I asked all the sellers their location and that I would like to have an associate pick it up at their location. None responded to this last questions.

Some of them also advertise payment terms of Money Orders,Personal Checks, and all credit cards allowed, however, in reality they only accept your hard-earned $ via money transfer.

DON'T be sucked in. Like a previous writer noted, " A 1Ds is what it is" .... and it ain't that cheap. At least not yet.

Thanks again, you may have saved my marriage !