Canon 10D vs Rebel

I am considering purchasing a digital camera to replace my Elan 7.

I currently use a 70-200mm L IS lens with the Elan camera. Can

anybody tell me if there would be any major advantage to use the 10D

body over the Rebel body with this type and quality lens? Seems

that the CMOS size is the real price increaser in a digital camera.

Can anybody help me make this decision? thanks,,,,,,

You will be able to make equally good photos with that lens on either the 10D or the Digital Rebel.

<p><i>"Seems that the CMOS size is the real price increaser in a digital camera."</i>

<p>The 10D and the Digital Rebel have the same size CMOS, in fact the sensor of both cameras is (exactly?) the same, so that's not the thing that makes the price difference between these two.

There are many more differences between the 300D and 10D than mirror lockup and solid build, but that's not your question. In my opinion the 300D is every bit as 'worthy' as a 10D of using your fine lens. Crop factor on both is exactly the same.

One exception... if you frequently use very high ISO, the 300D has more noise than the 10D. At lower ISO... little to no difference.

I thought they had the same sensor. There is a question about 10Ds getting the better of the batch.

Otherwise, I think the higher noise might have to due with the Parameter settings. The 300D by default has the Parameters set to an increased Saturation and Sharpness. You can set the Parameters to set 2, which is the same as the 10D.

Other main differences -

1) Lack of a rear dial (so you have to hit a button and roll the dial to change aperture in Manual mode).

2) Frame buffer size - 300D will take 4, I think the 10D does 9.

3) 300D shoots in continuous at 2.5 frames per second. I think the 10D does 3.0 frames per second (then of course the 4 frame buffer vs 9 again).

Bare in mind, your 70-200 acts like a 112 - 320 on both cameras.

If you like the feel of you Elan 7, and don't want to "downgrade" get the 10D. If you don't use your rear dial too often, and aren't bothered by the other limitations, and wouldn't mind an included (in the kit) 18-55 lens, get the 300D.

Take a look at the comparison chart Phil Askey has on his review of the Digital Rebel sy www.dpreview.com. He shows the many limitations of the Rebel versus the 10D (which is more in line with your Elan 7). The 10D may or may not be worth the additional $500. Only you can decide. If the Rebel's numerous limitations won't cramp your style, you just saved money that you can put towards some new glass.

Charles,

I had the same situation as you did. I wanted to go digital and replace my Elan 7. After about 2 months of researching and asking questions on photo.net and dpreview.com, I ended up going with 300D over 10D.

It really depends on what kind of photography you intend to take. I am just a hobbyist and I usually take family, landscape and still pictures. I do not take sports or high speed photos.

After a week of playing around w/ the 300D, I must say that I was a little frustrated in the beginning. The controls are not as easy as using the Elan 7 or 10D. But you will get used to it.

I got the 18-55mm lens, just because it was only $100 and it gave me a quick solution for wide-angle photos. I also have 24-85mm (my main lens) as well as 70-200mm L.

The quality of the photos are excellent! You will probably do some post-editing, but that's the norm with msot digital photography.

Bottom line, go try out both . . . see if you need to spend the extra $500 on the 10D. $500 can go a long way in digital photography accessories, such as higher memory cards, better printers and etc.

As someone said in one of my posts, either cameras won't make you a better photographer, it's matter of need and how much $$ you have to spend.

Michael