50mm Summilux R - 3 cams

tony_salce

I am a Leicaflex SL user wondering whether to take the plunge and

fork out about $625 for a 3 cam 50mm Summilux R.

Any comments on this lens. I've read Doug Herr's website about the

lens. I hope I am not misinterpreting him by saying that he appears

not to be overly impressed by it as compared to the 50 Summicron.

Doug if I have misnterpretd your comments I am sorry.

Any comments generally about this lens.

Best regards,

Tony

I think Doug is talking about the latest 50mm Summilux in comparison to the

Summicron. The newest Summilux may be the best 50mm lens ever from what I've

read, but unfortunately for us SL users is only available in the R mount for R3-R8.

I still like my 50mm Summicron, very very smooth after 30+ years, focuses down to

20 inches where my ELPO takes over if needed, its sharp, good contrast (the 1st Leica

designed 'high-contrast' lens in 1964) and is light/compact (for an SL lens), and wide

open or stopped down a bit its still impressive. A great all around shooting lens.

As we've all said before (us SL users), the SL with a 50mm may be the best deal

around in Leica photograph.

Personally i rather use faster film then faster lenses, simply because its better. Even more so i think the quality of modern film has made fast lenses bulky collectible paperweights ;)

The best regarded alternative to the 50 summicron R is the 60 macro-elmarit which is perfectly usable as a normal lens BTW.

Greetings,

Tony,

I owned a 50mm 3 cam summilux and thought it was a fantastic lens, and only sold it when buying the 80mm summilux which suits me better.

The 50mm is a great lens, especially wide open.

Of course the above refers to real picture taking.

If you need that focal length buy it. It is also quite compact, with built in hood, which may or may not be as good as a separate one ,but at least it's always there.

Regards

Bruno

I remember reading somewhere that one of the lux's didn't fit on the Leicaflex SL as there is a ridge inside protecting the mirror. There are several lenses which will not fit on the SL because of this. Not sure if it was the 35 or 50 lux that was included in this list.

<I>I remember reading somewhere that one of the lux's didn't fit on the Leicaflex SL as there is a ridge inside protecting the mirror. There are several lenses which will not fit on the SL because of this. Not sure if it was the 35 or 50 lux that was included in this list.

</I><P>

Neither the 35mm or <I>current</I> 50mm Summilux-R with fit on the SL. Older 50mm 'luxes will work fine. The current 50mm 'lux is one of the best normal lenses ever made for 35mm SLRs, the older models are comparable in sharpness to the similar lenses from Canon or Zeiss (for Contax RTS). The Canon lens, while giving excellent sharpness, has more distortion and harsher bokeh than the older 'lux.

<P>

The current 50mm 'lux can be converted to 3-cam by Leica to fit the SL2, but not to fit the SL.