Cheap Rollei bright screen

bruce_appel

It isn't a "Brightscreen".....it is simply a Fresnel overlay screen (not a replacement).

I have one and it YES it is a major improvement. I recommend it. It took my Rollei

screen from bad to 'not too bad'.

That said....I also have a Hasselblad and I just replaced it's screen with a Beattie

Intenscreen. THAT was an improvement!

jmp

I just got a Beattie Intenscreen from B&H for my recently-acquired MX Automat IV and I saw those ads on e-Bay too and was tempted, except that I prefer a screen with both gridlines and a split-image rangefinder. The Beattie was $100 more though, ouch.

yes i have that particular screen - for 35 dollars you cant go

wrong with it. its on a par with the later rolleiscreens that were

used in the f-models. the only annoyance (for me) is the split-

image in the middle, but i think marvin (thats the seller) is

offering screens without them too. its not in the beattie/maxwell

league, but at that price its unbeatable

The older type Rollei screens are rather dim, but I read once that if the matt side is rubbed with Vaseline and then polished so that only the slightest trace of Vaseline remains in the matt surface, it will bring about a great improvement. I haven't tried that because I don't have one of the older screens, but it might be worth a try.

I�ve replaced several TLR screens with Bronica SQA screens. They�re very bright, just about the brightest stock screens I�ve seen. Sometimes you have to shave the edges to get them to fit. You can often get them pretty cheap from KEH. Never tried one in a Rollei, though.

Nice to read that the screen from Marvin is a good deal, as I got one too. I'm planning to send my Rolleicord for a CLA before christmas, and I'm having the screen installed then.

BTW, maybe it's a completely dumb question but... does the matt side goes face up or down ?_?

I bought a couple of Wallace screens (Marvin Screens? What do we call them?). I've so far fitted one in a Rolleicord Va, and my feeling is that it's about 1 stop brighter. That may not sound like much, but it's made the camera much more usable. For $35 they're a pretty good deal. Bear in mind that the screen may need shimming, or the focus assembly some adjustment - mine didn't, as it happens. For details on collimation etc check the RUG archives - this topic has been done to death there.

I have one of these. It's a good screen, but not as good as a Maxwell Screen (but it costs arount 1/3 as much). It has a split image center, and the overall screen is Fresnel groundglass. In terms of quality, it's about half way between the original screen on my 2.8D and a Maxwell screen. It's easy to focus, and a bit brighter than the original screen (less so than the Maxwell or Beattie), but my main gripe with it is that the Fresnel lines are noticeably more visible than with a Maxwell screen.

It was pretty easy to install in my 2.8D, but I subsequently replaced it with a Maxwell screen. I's sell mine, in as-new condition, for $25 plus shipping (probably no more than $1-2).