Anyone tried the Fuji S7000 ?

IMHO Steve's reviews are useful but rather non-commital. The only consistent "tell-it-like-it-is" source, in my experience, is Phil Askey at dpreview.com.

I too am considering the S7000. If Fuji have taken this forward correctly, it could be a show-stopper !

Hi Kris

I'm new here but I'm not new to Fuji digitals. I own a couple of S602Z's and just received shipment of a new S7000. Since I was already familiar enough with the S602, the learning-curve for the S7000 was very easy. Easy enough that I shot a wedding with it on Saturday Nov 1. I set a custom white balance for my external strobe [Viviar 285] and never had a 2nd thought about color/density. I work with an assistant and she carries a diffused 283 triggered by a Pocket Wizard system. I mount the transmitter on a PC shoe adapter that I mount directly on the hot-shoe of the S7000 [or S602]. We got some killer shots on Saturday. I shot 98% of the wedding at 12MP Normal. It was a piece of cake to switch to Black & White "on the fly" and then back to color. Initial review of the files showed very sharp images with great color & skin tones.

The only thing that I found somewhat disappointing about the S7000 is that minimum aperture is only F8 as opposed to F11 for the S602. I use the camera(s) for studio work and I'll have to cut my power-levels back to compensate for the loss of the F-stop.

What can I say? Fuji continues to impress the heck out of me. I've tried the Minolta A1...sent it back. Tried the Nikon 5700...sold it on Ebay less than 2 months later.

Cheers!

Martin

http://www.torrephotography.com

• 2 weeks later...

I have also ordered a FinePix S7000 (though it's not deliverable yet here in Holland, expected week 49), as a successor to my 6900. The 6900 is still a great camera, but especially it's (lack of) speed and the poor auto-focus in lowlight conditions make me want the S7000.

Yes, I've also read Jeff Keller's review at www.dcresource.com, and I really couldn't believe what I saw! He was very annoyed about the noise in both the 6MP and 12MP images, and it was indeed clearly visible in the sample images. What I don't understand is that the noise was clearly visible especially in a sunny day's blue sky, while the night shots in the same review virtually showed no noise at all! Isn't it so that especially nightshots are extremely sensitive to noise? At least that's what I've always thought! Anyway, the comments I read here about the S7000 make my day, wiping out all the doubts I had about this camera. I can hardly wait for week 49! I will write my own review in due time in this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
I highly recomend this camera every thing is great the user manual is very good at explaining things, be prepared to buy extra battery sourse as it really eats the battery! Considering what you get it's worth the battery useage. The continuious shooting is great and CLEAR. I really like the clarity of cropping the photos which you can crop alot and still have SHARP images. I sell my work and take alot of action shots and this camera will do it all. Enjoy !!!!<div>006ezl-15524384.jpg.ad6289a7aaf33c6e27206413086f1882.jpg</div>

Thanks to everybody !! I ordered the S7000 a few weeks ago, and can't wait for it to arrive. Grrrr... Just received a note from the store it has another two-week delay (it was promised to be in stock by december 1st) and now will be here around december 15th (ordered it in France).<p>Thanks again, <br>Kris.

• 2 weeks later...

Having hired a Nikon D100 for several jobs I was about to bite the bullet and buy one when I saw a Fuji S7000 advertised. I could only find one review online (Steve's digicams) and was nearly put off, but decided to try the Fuji out and return it if it didn't make the grade. At first I was worried about the in camera sharpening which was apparent even when set to 'normal', but experimented further and found that set (worryingly) to 'soft' it simply produces an unsharpened image which I prefer as I usually do more work to my pics before delivery.

I also needed to get used to the various focussing settings to get the speediest response from the camera. You do need to persevere and try all the options to get the camera set for the way you want to work, but once that's done I find it superb. I thought no more about returning it!

I've now shot five jobs on it - all in difficult conditions that would have taxed my Nikons or Mamiya RZ67 using film, and been delighted with the results - as have the magazines commissioning me!<div>006m8q-15690684.jpg.656ed954966e72766d3f4fd81d8e7244.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...

well, from an amateur point of view, i found this is a great camera. initially i wanted to buy CP5700 but under a friend's advice, he told me that the CP5700 would have low a light focussing problem...tried the CP5700 at retail shops. initially cant see and diff.

then got my S7000. been using it for <2 mths but darn impress with all the funtions. went to the same shop that sell CP5700 and the CP5700 does have low light focussing problem. S7000 af is really fast!!

taken about 2,000 pics already for the last 2 mths...low light shots, night shots, macro shots, super macro shots...very satisfied :D

you can check my S7000 samples here http://faizal.fotopic.net.

rgds<div>006qth-15811184.jpg.539226c60bc06b71f6a474274d116829.jpg</div>

• 1 month later...

S7000 -- Truly awesome bang for the $$!! I have both S5000 and S7000, the S5000 for wildlife (with Olympus 1.7 teleconverter.. over 600mm!!) and the S7000 I've had for a week. Great, Great camera, a little larger and heavier, but to me this is a big plus. Very DSLR-like, for a fraction of the price.

Here's what to do if you want pro results and want to reduce the noise.. Its default ISO is 200, which explains why compared to say a Canon at ISO 100 or so, the Fuji is noisier.

Shoot in CCD RAW, Convert with S7RAW http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/9919/s7raw.html

(better than Fuji's RAW converter, by a lot)

and post process in PS. Try Noise Ninja

http://www.picturecode.com/

to clean up the noise without losing any noticable sharpness or color.

That's the price you pay if you want pro-looking images. But in 6MP jpg, the shots still look great, and if you develop prints, you don't see nearly as much noise as you can see onscreen.

• 6 months later...

Hi

Yes I agree the S7000 camera is awesome for the money. I NEARLY aways use a tripod and shoot in 12m fine. Soft image. This gives me an image size of 14" x 10", 300dpi. I upsize to A3 in Photozoom. Neat Image for noise reduction and ulta Sharp pro for sharpening.

I am more than pleased with results.

A question for Marie-Louise Avery. Hi What's your methond of production, dear girl. I can call you dear because I'm age 72.

Also Hi to James Gavioli.

I've tried S7RAW but just can't come to terms with it. Any how -to litrature out there. Thank you all for your-----Alf jones