Why only a digital back instead of a full frame DSLR???

>>>I did think that Leica had a purpose of making the corners less sharp than the

center - but now Leica only wants to use the center of each lens...

This must imply that Leica no longer claims that the real reason for buying Leica is

the glass. If that were the case, the digital back would use the whole 24 x 36 mm area

in order to preserve the full characteristics of each lens....

Furthermore, it seems to me to be a strange and destructive form of marketing that

Leica Solms want to quit the 24 x 36 mm format....<<<<

Someone else has explained the reason that the Leica digital back will be less than a

full frame. But your posting sure shows the fallacy of "conspiracy theories" as

explanations of reality. Speak of jumping to conclusions...

all of the above are correct -- technically, the choice of "combined" film and digital camera (interchangebale back) forced their hand due to chip positioning requirements, and, as well, suspect, they were happier to use the central portionof the freame, where ligghtis more perpendicular. Of course, there is no reason not to offer a second full frame digital only SLR -- but they can't face the comeptition there, I do not think, so they stick to their loyal film based folks.

Having said that, no bets offered on whether what was announced is what is delivered -- > 1 year is a long time in digital technology development. And, I am not sure they will still find a market by that time, anyway. Around $5000 for an accessory back is a pretty big commitment, when that wil be system price for the competition.

<em>"Leica is just buying it from Silicon Film, what risk?"</em>

<p>

The specs for the SiliconFilm sensor and the Leica sensor are very different, though they are both 10MP. The SiliconFilm sensor is very nearly full frame (something like a 1.1x "crop factor"), while the Leica sensor is much smaller, nearly a 1.4x crop factor.

<p>

Any way, Leica was quite clear that they're doing this in partnership with Kodak and Imacon. Presumably, virtually all of the electronics and firmware work is being done by the partners.