Largest prints from 6MP file

I have a 6MP digital SLR (Canon 10D). I would like to know the

largest prints people have been able to make either from a RAW file

or JPEG fine coming from this camera or a comparable camera. Is it

possible to get a good quality 16x20 print from a 6MP jpeg fine?

From RAW? From both? From neither? I am assuming the printing will

be done using a good service bureau with a Lightjet printer.

Hi David, In my humble opinion the answer is a resounding yes - altho' my printer (Epson 2200) is capable of only 13X19. I was pleasantly surprised at the results when I first got my 10D because I just didn't think it would look good blown up that big. I use Photoshop's bicubic interplolation, increasing size 10% at a time until it's big enough. Some people say you can do it in one fell swoop, but that's how I do it. One caveat: For the best prints I've found I need to use the best lenses and well-lit, well exposed subjects when blowing up that big. Best wishes . . .

This sortof goes whith what was just said. If you want big prints you are bettter off

with the least amount of PS work becuase almost everything yo do adds noise> Also

if yo actually work on the photo composition and not just color, contrast, etc you

have to make sure you are extreamly carefull. Small errors are become BIG ones.

I have done 30x44 with a D30. I use Adobe Camera Raw to increase the file size and

bring it into Photoshop at 9"x13". I do all editing in 16bit mode, duplicate and resize

using Beau's 10% approach, sharpen, and send of to the service bureau who prints it

on an Epson 10000

David...the short answer is yes you can and even bigger. All you should do is to open your image in any vector software for rescaling and bingo! I use VFZoom for rescaling and this software has given me better image than resampling in Photoshop. Unfortunately this programme is no longer developped but try typing VFZoom in Google and look for the company's Japanese website. I think the download is still available for PC and Mac. Its a standalone software--works in vector rather than bitmap.

Extensis have a software called Smartscale which is also worth trying for rescaling files.

Justin,

" If you want big prints you are bettter off with the least amount of PS work becuase almost everything yo do adds noise>"

Based on experience (1 year w/D100)I would agree. My best big prints have came virtually right out of the camera. What can we do to minimize this noise besides make a better exposure, and use RAW exposure adjustments rather than PS when possible?

I guess my question is what specifically, if anything, can we do in PS to minimize this (8 bit vs. 16 bit)

I would like to also add (and this is very subjective)that how big a print you can get from you 6MP orig. file depends on several things

First- don't forget the fundamentals - in addition to proper exposure , high quality optics, and proper workflow, you need to do everything you can to eliminate camera shake (good heavy tripod, shutter release, higher shutter speeds when you can)to get the most out of your camera.

Sendond- for me the max print size also depends partly on the subject.

I once took a picture of a flower w/ a 1.3 MP camera and printed it beautifully at 8 x 10 - of couse it's soft, but it looks fine that way. If this picture were taken with a 6MP camera, I'm sure 20 x 30 would be no problem!

On the other hand if your subject requires great detail like most landscapes and large group portraits, then I'ld say 11x14 is about as big as you want to go. It's a personal thing - I like to see reasonably fine detail at close (10 in ) viewing dist.

For a detailed/scientific discussion of this subject please see:

www.normankoren.com

click on Digital vs. Film and Digital Image quality.

• 1 month later...

I might be a little off here but help me out folks. I dont want to use PS to resize my image and I have an Epson Photo Inkjet (say 820).

I use E-10 camera and shot images at SHQ (2240x1680) or TIFF (same res). When I open the images in PS, the sizes are set at 144 (p/i) resolution and the physical dim. are set at 11.6 x 15.5 inches automatically. If I open a new 8x10 at 300 dpi file and move my image over, of course, I see a much smaller image in that setting.

a) if you said the file p/i need to be resized in PS or other program before you can get a larger size print then..I dont need a 6MP camera to do the job, right?

b) The maximum res on a D100 is about 3072x2048. Assuming it is set at 144 dpi, it is still a smaller image in that 8x10 at 300dpi setting. How do I get a decent 8x10 w/o having to resize in PS or other Program?

c) what is the recommended pixels/inch file setting for Epson?

Thanks