Using the Macro Stage outside

When looking for options on macro photography I found Canon's Macro

Stage for the Auto bellows. It attaches to the front of the Auto

bellows and allows you to position the Bellows vertically like a copy

stand. I couldn't find a picture of it so can someone who has one

give a brief description (size, weight and stability) and answer a

few questions please or give a link that has details. I have a copy

stand but it's way too awkward and bulky to use outside.

How well would it work in the field, does it have a way to balance it

on a tripod or do you have to set the whole thing in the dirt?

Would it be at all stable on uneven ground and is it top heavy or

tippy?

Will the work table move at any angle or is it locked parallel to the

film plane?

How big is the table and does it has any spring clips to hold things

down?

Does $100 seem fair for a near new example?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

I've seen a picture of it, but I've never handled one myself. It is not like a copy stand. It is just a white stage in a black frame about 2 or 3 inches square that attaches to the end of the bellows rail. I don't believe it can be tilted. My impression is that you would use it by mounting the camera pointed downward on a copy stand or tripod, and the item to be photographed is placed on the stage. I'm not sure whether the stage can be moved for or is fixed. It is also possible that the stage may be illuminated from below, but I'm not positive about that.

Greg there is a photo of one at this site:

http://www.canonfd.com/macro/page12.htm

it shows it with a bellows and body mounted to it should give you a good idea how it's used. Also FYI the site this page is on has a HUGE amount of great canon Fd info might take a gander at the home page and index. http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm

Hope this helps, Mark W.

P.S. I would think that unless it was near mint in the box $100.00 might be a bit high you can by the auto Bellows for $150.00 on ebay most all the time.

The macro stage is very stable. It has 4 metal feet. I keep a spare F-1n w/ speedfinder attached to it with a macro 50. Its not top heavy. I use it a image coins and other small items that may benefit from the back lite possibility. Its also a "slide copier" according to Canon. Its an awsome assessory and I feel 100 is ok for it. I paid $85ish from keh a couple or more years ago. Back in the days when delivery was free at $100+ per order. Gregory, You cannot go wrong with "new in box" usually ;^). I would not use mine outside in the dirt though.

I carefully looked through Christian's site for macro stuff but I missed that 1979 French Macro catalogue. Christian's is one of the few Canon FD sites that seems to continue to grow. Thanks Mark, picture = 1000 words. How does the backlight part work, do you set it on a light table?

It looks smaller than the bellows but I can see it would impractical to use outside. I don't know why I had the idea it could be used in the horizontal position. Then you can get a shot from the side of the subject rather than from the top, which is exacally what I want.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi Greg,

The stage does mount to the end of the bellows rail in place of the stop plate, using the screw that came with the bellows. It has two index pins that keep it from twisting on the bellows. It works great with the bellows on a tripod. As mentioned above, it is quite stable on a firm surface. I've used mine with an A-1 and MA motor drive without a fall.

The stage is fixed perpendicular to the bellows rail, parallel to the film plane. The table is about 4-7/8" square overall and the opal-white plastic insert is 3-1/8" in diameter. It sits in a counterbore in the stage and is removable. Actually, the spring clips, which are like overgrown microscope slide clips, are all that holds it in. You can backlight with any light source you wish.

I too bought mine from KEH a few years ago, I think for $75.00.

Greg, you know what would work quite nice for a super cheap backlite would be one of thos e cheap battery powered touch lites like they used to hawk on TV you know buy four get more! They have a slightly domed lens but a ring could be cut from a small coffee can to space the approx 5" diameter light below the stage. The milk plastic lens of the lite combined with the milk plastic stage should give a pretty white light. You can find these touch lights at most any home store and they come in a couple of different sizes.

Just an Idea

Mark W.

Gregory Nicholson asked:

"How well would it work in the field, does it have a way to balance it on a tripod or do you have to set the whole thing in the dirt?"

"Would it be at all stable on uneven ground and is it top heavy or tippy?"

I own the Auto Bellows, which I always use attached to a tripod.

I would be concerned, however, about using it out of doors, close

to the ground, as the mechanisms that position the bellows and the lens are NOT protected against the effects of dust and of dirt.

If you need to work outside, why not utilize a good macro lens with

an extension tube for closeup work? I've been getting excellent results utilizing the Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 Macro, with its "Macro Adapter" accessory to get down to a 1:1 ratio of subject to image size.

Thanks again for the added responses. The Macro stage looks and as described to be a nice and useful unit. I had the idea of attaching its base it to a tripod, everything in the vertical position. This would be a duplication of a copy stand for use out in the field. I want to start doing better bug portraits but unfortunately macro past 1:1 is not easy once you drag that related equipment outside. I thought if I could have a portable copy stand then things might go smoother.

I need something that could connect the camera, bellows and lens to the subject. At 2x, 3x or 4x you just can't work with something that is hanging off a leaf. I tried a little handy clamp that clamps to the leaf's branch, to hold it still. Sounds good, it didn't work too well. There's too much movement getting the camera in position and then fumbling around with the branch, then readjusting everything. Insects do not stick around for all that. I thought that if I had a portable copy stand right there all set up then I could grab a bug throw him on the table top and take his picture in a matter of seconds. Obviously this would not work for all insects but flightless ones it should.

After discussing/reading this I came to realize that a portable copy stand is not what I want. A copy stand will give a view from straight down, which would be the insect's back. If I want to capture the insect's face then I need to fabricate something that will let me work in the horizontal position. Finding or making a type of Macro stage that has a table parallel with the Bellow's rails. This would have to be for-lack-of-a-better-term a 'lazy susan' that can be moved up and down. This could likely be made from an old tripod that I no longer use. The Bellows would probably need a perpendicular rail for side to side movement too.

Anyway, thanks for all your input. It really helps to bounce around some ideas and help me decide what it is that I need. Getting what you want is the easy part, figuring it out is always the hardest.