Nikon Coolscan IV compatible with Windows XP?

I'm using a Nikon Coolscan IV ED with Nikon scan 3.1

At the moment I'm running windows 98 on 400Mhz P2 with 256MRAM.

Just about to place an order for an AMD 2800Mhz based machine to try

and speed up my digital photo processing a bit.

Will the Nikon scanner run happily on windows XP? Thumbed through

all the paper work with the scanner and I can't find any mention of

XP (I may be blind of course).

Should I go for XP or say Windows 2000?

I'm happy that my Canon i950 printer will run on XP as it has both XP

and windows 98 clearly marked on the box and documentation.

Any help very much appreciated.

It is some what buried, but from the Nikon USA website:

Operating Systems: Mac®OS 8.6-9.2.2, only built-in USB supported; Windows®98 Second Edition, Windows® Me, and Windows® 2000, Windows® XP (must use Nikon Scan 3.1.2 or later for XP), only built-in USB supported

BTW, while the AMD chips are good performers, have you considered the Intel P4 with hyper threading? Some of the units I have seen in the stores seem quite reasonable.

Gareth: I run Nikon Scan 3.12 on a Windows XP machine with 1 Gig of RAM with no trouble at all. You'll want to be sure that you have the virtual memory set properly -- they recommend that you set the virtual memory to about 1.5x the amount of RAM that you have. If you have enough RAM on your machine, Windows XP should run Nikon Scan just fine.

I'm running windows 98 version 4.10.1998 which I suspect is less than desirable. May be why my pc is becoming increasingly unstable.

The disk I have for the driver is marked Nikon Scan 3, INT Version 3.1.3

I did consider the Intel chips but they are about twice the price of similar AMD chips. All the big builders over here are pushing AMD. I phoned one and asked about Intel, sure they said we can do that but there really is no advantage and we currently sell mostly AMD. I asked a few IT workers I know and they said AMD is the current way to go.

I've not sure about virtual memory but I'll find out how to set that.

I take it I can stop worrying and order my new box of tricks. I'm assuming I'll have to dump my HP ScanJet 3300C but maybe it's about time I did just that.

I also run the LS-4000ED scanner under Windows XP, it works fine although it did take Nikon about 3 months after introducing the scanner to support XP with a driver update. By now they probably have upgraded the cd but if not just download the upgrade from Nikon. I haven't had any problems running Nikonscan as a photoshop plug-in since I upgraded to a gigabyte of memory. For some reason you need to close nikon scan to work on the images in photoshop but other than that it works fine. On my Dell 8200 computer NikonScan wouldn't even run by itself.