Olympus 35-70 f3.6 Zoom

photogbob

I was thinking about adding a zoom to my OM system and was wanting

opinions on the 35-70 f3.6 zoom. They seem to sell for quite a bit and

before I make the investment, I thought I would run it by all you

other Zuikoholics. Also, they seem to be hard to find in excellent

condition (could use some resources in this regard).

How does the 35-105 stack up optically? I've seen the lens tests on the 3.6 and it seems to perform nearly as good as the highly regarded 35-80 but I don't recall seeing the test on the 35-105.

I have one other question. I found a 3.6 for a good price but it has some dust and specs on the inside. KEH will clean it (inside and out) for around $35.00 which sems like a fair price. Any comments on having lenses cleaned in this fashion?

I have this lens, and I think it outperforms everything in its range, except my 50mm 1.8, which is great. The only tough piece to get is the lens Hood. It clamps outside and therefore adjusts to the proper focal length. It took me months to find it on E*ay.

MEB

Thanks for the input. I'm working on a deal right now on one. The seller posted it for sale on the Free Trade Zone (mir.com) some time ago. He was quite surprised when I contacted him. The lens is in excellent condition and comes with the hood. Total with shipping and ins. will be $247.00. I think I got a good deal! Anyway, I can't wait to give it a workout. Thanks again for the help.

There is a decade worth of OM Mailing List postings on the f/3.6 which are searchable on Google. Just add OM to the search phrase to bring them forward.<p>

You can see my lens test comparisons on this and all other infinity focusable OM System lenses at: <a href=http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>Olympus OM System Lens Tests and Auction Values</a>. As a bonus, you will find auction prices there, too.