Fort Myers Beach Florida accomodations - Sanibel access

mike f

We are planning a trip to Fort Myers/Sanibel in February of next year

and would like to stay on Estero Island in Fort Myers Beach as close

to the Holiday Inn as possible. The plan is that we can walk to the

birds rather than drive. Does any one know of a REASONABLE place to

stay? I am finding rates in excess of $200.00++ per night.

Once again, this isn't really a nature photography (or even photography) question; it is more like a travel question, so we'll give it a short expiration.

There are a lot of less-expensive motels in Fort Myers, such as Days Inn, etc. Several years ago I stayed there for $60+ a night in February, but they aren't like right next to the beach. If you want to be within walking distance to the beach, I am afraid that you have to pay for it.

Two years ago I spent about 5 days hubbing out of the Holiday Inn (the one at the southern end of the Lagoon). Arthur Morris in his seminal book on bird photography mentions this inn as a place where one can park and obtain access to the Lagoon. I think I asked for a corporate rate (all these places have special rates below the expensive "rack" rate). Fort Myers has a webb site listing lots of hotels. If you are intending to hub out of the Fort Myers beach area--the southern area of the Lagoon is not ideal. The Lagoon road is slow (a lane in each direction). The north end is more convenient (to Sannibel and even to Venice to the north, the rookery should not be missed but it is a long drive even from the north end). You can always drive to the Holiday Inn and walk to the Lagoon if you are going to shoot there for one or two days.)

Without intending any disrespect to Shun, I really do not understand the comment of the moderator. The purpose of the trip as stated is bird photography at the Lagoon and at Sannibel. Logistics for a nature photography trip in MHO(now that's a trip using those initials) is clearly an appropriate subject for this forum. Asking those that have been there for "nature shooting" for a recommendation as to an affordable place to stay is not a question that should be stricken. In MHO this forum should be and I think is a place where all can go to seek advice and exchange views re topics related to nature photography, including trip logistics. A question asking where to stay to get a tan in Fort Myers should be stricken. This question where the stated purpose of the trip is bird photography and the criteria for the recommendation is walking to the photo site and an affordable place should not be stricken or be limited to a very short life. Once again, I am not trying to beat on the moderators, they do a thankless job, for which we all should often say THANKS.

Thank you for the response, and support. I did the Arthur Morris workshop a year and a half ago and that is why I am going back there. I will hit the beach at Estero, Sanibel, the Lighthouse and the Venice rookery. It will be strictly a photo trip and we will be spending very little time in the room is why I am looking for less than resort accomidations. I also want to be able to hit the beach at dawn and at sunset by just stepping out of my room because it is so hard to drive and park in the neighborhood. Since getting there (airline carry on sizes & x-ray's) is considered a thread and where to go is considered a valid topic I was a little surprised we shouldn't determine where to be to rest up from our rigors of packing around the 600mm f4. I am glad that the board is strictly monitored. Some others have gotten into verbal spats that were very non-professional. Keep up the good work all.

I took the liberty of removing the expiration on this post. Though we do try to keep travel questions out of this forum, I think this one is just on the nature side of the fence since Sanibel is SUCH a popular destination for bird photograhers.

Now if someone asks for the best place to stay in, say, Newark NJ, that one will meet a quick death...

Mike, on the northern part of Estero Island past the bridge to the mainland is the Pink Shell resort (owned by Best Western). They have a fairly large price range depending on the accommodations. There is also a regular Best Western just south of it. Both of these hotels are about 1 mile from the Holiday Inn.

Unfortunately you are going during prime time and many book solid fairly early. Mid April begins the price drop and many places offer prices around $100/night then. The thing I like about the Pink Shell is its location. It is all alone at the tip providing large empty beach space where you will normally find many shore birds. It is the only spot on the island other than the very south side where you find this. One time when we walked the point, there were porpoises traveling along with some of the fishing boats that were heading out. Because of the proximity to the channel and with low tide, these mammals where less than 75 feet from the beach edge.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, email me.

Mike, on South Cleveland Ave there are several hotels, Days Inn and Comfort Inn come to mind, that have reasonable rates. It is a 15 minute drive to Ft. Myers beach (depending on traffic), Sanibal Island, easy access to I75 to get to Venice and Corkscrew and only 5 minutes from Six Mile Cypress Swamp.

You'll need to drive. If you find something "reasonable" near the Holiday Inn, let me know. But I feel being more centally located provides you with better options.

Al

Mike - I stayed at the Buckaneer (sp?) Hotel this past March, which is only about a 1/2 mile north of the Holiday Inn/Little Estero Lagoon. A 5 minute drive if that before sunrise. Its a small privately owned place, clean, and basic, decent rates, located right on the beach. However, as others mentioned, it is peak season, and I don't think you will find a hotel on Estero for less than $100/night. Its still a lot to pay if you are hardly in your room.

Also, the traffic is TERRIBLE. Though you don't have any before sunrise, trying to get anywhere off the north end of the island (to Sanibel, etc) before sunset is a stop & go nightmare. (30-40 minutes to travel 1-2 miles was common) This would be another consideration before selecting Pink Shell - which is at the opposite end of the Holiday Inn, so you have to go through the traffic.

Based on these reasons, next time I am staying off the island and will commmute to the Holiday Inn. This would be my recommendation - go for the best rate you can find off the island, but with close access to it. I think there is a Radisson inbetween Estero and Sanibel just off one of the major roads which I would check out.

Mark