My 645 transparency scans at 2400 dpi and yielding file sizes of

approx 350mb are taking 19 minutes on an Epson 2450 and this seems

like an excesive amount of time to me. I am wondering what times

others are experiencing scanning 120 film or 4x5 negs or trans. My

scanner is hooked up by USB2 to a computer I just built for photo

work which has an Intel 2.4ghz Pentium 4, 1 gig of DDR 2700 ram, XP

Pro, 2 HDD drives with 8 Mb cache and I am using two SCSI 9.1 G

drives on raid 0 for the scratch disk.

Ron<p>Something is wrong here! My 6x6 scans using the Epson 2450 at 2400 dpi are 75MB at 8 bit and 150MB at 16 bit and take nothing like 19 minutes. I can't understand how you are getting such large file sizes and you certainly can't be gaining any extra info in the scan. Are you sure you are setting 2400 dpi?

My Epson 2450 also took a long time on 6 x 6 and 6 x 7 scans, although probably not as long as 19 minutes. Your equipment is more than capable enough and is not a limiting factor in the scans.

The Epson 3200 is quite a bit faster.

What software are you using to scan? I use Vuescan.

There does seem to be something wrong about your file sizes. I calculate that a single 645 frame should yield a file of size about 135 Mb assuming scanning at 2400 ppi, 48 bit color depth, and no compression.

Are you scanning more than one frame at a time, interpolating to higher than 2400 ppi, ???

http://www.imagesciencescanning.com.au/ISS/Scan%20Sizes.html

Gives a table of scan sizes you can expect at either 2400 or 1600 DPI from film size 645 through to 45 LF. NB these are scan sizes for full frames, ie actually 6 by 6 cm - in practise the sizes are a few MB lower on average as 6 by 6 cm film often works out as 5.7cm times 5.7cm in terms of actual imaged area...

Thanks for all the input into my problem! Steven and Marcelo, you hit the nail right on the head in-as-much as I kept forgetting to keep the output scale at 100% and therefore I was scanning the entire transparency area. That accounted for the 350Mb image files! Restoring the scale to 100% and scanning at 2400 dpi at 48 bit color depth is now yielding file sizes of slightly over 100Mb and taking about 6 minutes. Much better!! Again, many thanks.