it again unless the lens sits for a day. My 17-35 has done this for

sometime now, while the others haven't but now they are starting to

produce this noise. Has any one else had this problem? I'm wondering

if this is a characteristic of these lenses or do I have three

malfunctioning lenses? These lenses have not been used excessively or

mistreated.

Thanks

Don C

The only AF-S lens I own is the 17-35, and I've had it for nearly 3 years. I can't tell exactly what you mean by "squealing", but mine also makes a high-pitch sound when focusing. It's not loud, and I don't really notice it unless it's really quiet around me.

I wondered if it was normal when it first appeared (which was about a year into owning the lens). It hasn't affected anything at all, though.

Also, I bought my lens grey market so I knew I'd just have to live with it here in the US.

FWIW, my 17-35 AFS does the same exact thing. My only other AFS lens is a 500 that does not. My 17-35 has been doing this since not long after I got it and I've had it for 2 or 3 years. It hasn't gotten worse or better.

Yes, it's annoying but it seems to not be an impactful problem unless you need them to be quiet.

If you're really concerned, I suggest calling Nikon. Maybe I should call them also so at least they're aware of the problem.

In a shop, I tried a brand new 80-200/2.8 AF-S that squeaked like a pig when focusing. The 70-200/2.8 VR AF-S that I own made a similar noise a couple of times. I think it's not a big deal, although I have to admit I would be really pissed off if my lens did that all the time.

The 17-35afs is particularly known for this. Nikon has replaced my autofocus motor TWICE for this problem. The second time, they had the nerve to say I had damaged it, and forced me to pay $450. This is a known problem on the 17-35. I haven't seen it on any other afs lenses.