Best Medium Format Portable Tripod

chwn

For years, I have used the black version of the Bogen 3001 Long Column. The tripod was light, yet more than adequate for holding an RZ67II with back, prism and a 100-200mm zoom.

The current model of this is the 3001 Professional. I also like the Bogen 410 Junior Geared Head. It is light, compact and allows fine adjustment of horizon lines with three axis control.

Hi

I have been using the Gitzo G-1228 for a number of years and like it very much. It's sturdy enough for a 250mm lens with my 500cm and also a 4x5 wooden field camera. Light to carry and will get low to the ground when needed. Just a joy to use. Ed

Assuming you're willing to consider an aluminum legset...

This will be my umpteenth plug for the Slik 300DX legset. I top it with a Velbon PH273 magnesium ballhead rather than the standard tilt/pan head that comes with the 300DX and 700DX, tho' those are good too. It's lightweight, strong, smooth acting and positive locking.

I also have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 with 3028 tilt/panhead. I like the head just fine but prefer the Slik legset.

The Slik legset is more rigid, has better and grippier feet, requires less effort to either lock or unlock the thumbscrews without sacrificing a positive lock.

I've compared the felt weight (not measured) of the 300DX legset against most similarly sized carbon fiber legsets and only Slik's own brand of CF legset felt significantly lighter (no idea how durable that model is).

I've had my 300DX legset for a couple of years (bought it used), have dropped it, dragged it around in my pickup truck and in general treated it less than gingerly. The plastic/nylon bushings and collets seem adequate to my needs.

I would re-recommend your Velbon. The inside parts on mine got crushed also but I just called Velbon and they sent me new parts. It was my fault for overtightening the legs after getting them in mud but I found that I shouldn't use very much force in tightening the legs.