Nikon F2SB question

tcb.photo

Hi

Perhaps some of you more knowledgeable guys can give me some advice.

I'm looking to buy my sister a camera to go to school with. I saw a

Nikon F2SB for sale at a shop and didn't know if this was a decent

camera or not? I was also wondering what a fair price for one might

be if it is a good camera?

It's my understanding that it used the non AI lens, is that also

correct?

Thanks in advance

Rob

It's a good camera, particularly if you like non-AI lenses (a lot of good glass for cheap, not so many good zooms).

Pricing on F2SB's is a little uneven; varying around the price point of the F2AS. KEH had one in chrome, BGN recently (haven't checked today) for $415. The same thing for an F2AS would be more like $375. Most people would consider the F2AS to a bit more flexible because it uses AI (and AF) lenses. The finder on the F2SB is one of the 'fewest' made (they came out with it and then launched AI the following year) so it has become somewhat more 'collectable' / sought after.

If it's a good price, snap it up; if it's gone 'collectable' on you I would probably pass it up. If it's non-AI you're after, you can get two F2 Photomics for that price.

<cite>It's my understanding that it used the non AI lens, is that also correct?</cite>

<p>

It uses the non-AI meter coupling, which means it will couple

with any lens that has the "rabbit ears". That includes

all manual focus lenses except series E. So it works

with pre-AI, AI, and AI-S lenses. Series E and autofocus

lenses can be modified to couple with its meter, or

can be used as-is in the less convenient stop-down mode.

Rob:

I can't tell you anything about price, because I bought my F2SB a couple of years ago, but I think it's a fantastic camera! Despite its relatively short production period, it's one of the "great" (IMHO) manual, mechanical 35mm SLRs. It won't autofocus, of course, and the meter does not automatically control the aperture or shutter speed (you've got to fiddle with the shutter speed or aperture until a "0" appears in the viewfinder (similar to a match-needle system). And, as one of the other responders pointed out, you should use lenses with "rabbit ears." So it's not as "convenient" as some other cameras. But it is incredibly versatile (I've used it for portraits, landscapes, macro work, you name it), and incredibly reliable (mine, bought used, must be about thirty years old, and it's still going strong). (And, for me, the lack of convenience isn't really a "minus" factor, because it requires the user to learn how cameras work--much more useful for a serious photographer than a point-and-shoot, that does the work for the user.)

Fred Stein

I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a Pre-AI mount camera. The main reason to get Pre-AI at this point is to save money by picking off non-AI lenses that are practically being given away, and that need can be met with a $75 Nikkormat FTn body. For a sophisticated, pro-class Nikon camera, She'd be much better off with either an F2AS, F2A, or F3 in that $300-450 range.

Although, actually, she probably will gain little from the extra features and weight of these Pro-class Nikons. Save yourself a $100 or more, and save her the effort of carrying one of these beasts around, and get her a nice Nikon FM2n.

Thanks everyone for all your help. To answer a couple of questions: My sister is going to take a few photography courses, that's why I wanted to get her a solid Manual camera. My thought was how can she really learn on a AF camera, it does all the work. I saw the F2sb at a dealer who had a price tag on it of $425.00 with a 50mm lens (the f2). I thought it would be a good starter, it has some brassing, but he had just had it cla'd.

I hadn't really thought about the FM2 or FM2n, perhaps I will be better off looking for one of those, if for no other reason, than the "easier" flash ability.

Thanks again for all youhelp and experitze

Rob

The only thing you get flash wise from an FM2 or FM2n is a more convenient hot shoe. If at all possible you want to use a flash bracket anyway so the advantage shrinks.

Regarding lenses, you can use all the Nikon F bayonet lenses made since 1959 except G types with the F2SB. Nikon Series E, AF and AF-D will need a coupling shoe added to the lens but that�s no big thing. With the FM2 and FM2n you can�t use pre-AI or G Type so there are a fewer lenses. The 50/2.0, probably IC (integrated coating), is one of Nikon�s finest.

I�d go for the F2SB. I have an F2As which is a little more practical but the F2SB has class because fewer were made. It�s funny, back in 1977 or 78 I wouldn�t have touched an F2SB. Now I wish I had one.

With great respect for David and the others, I will suggest that perhaps some of the enthusiasm for the F2SB is coming from the fact that many of us (myself included) get warm, fuzzy nostalgic feelings around cameras like that and/or are real purists. I'm not sure that your sister will feel as fondly as we do about the twist-twist that goes with the pre-AI lenses, or appreciate the flash shoe over the rewind crank. For a beginner, I think there may be something to be said for the convenience of an ISO foot on a flash! :) My own opinion, for what it's worth, would be to go with a clean FM2n or, if funds permit, even an FM3A (or FE2), which allows the flexibility of aperture priority exposure metering when desired.

John, I don�t see the f/5.6 Rumba as being a problem. I started with a Nikkormat FTn, then an F, then an F2 and then added an F2 Photomic. Only the F and F2 didn�t need the f/5.6 thing because they had no meter. I occasionally do the f/5.6 Rumba in a camera store, it gets lots of laughs from the old times and I feel kind of stupid. Next time I�ll just pretend I did it on purpose.

You�re right about feeling warm and fuzzy but I doubt there are many guys or gals out there that would object to learning to drive in a �64 Corvette Roadster with a fuel injected 327. The FE2 and FM3a have real advantages in TTL flash. That�s a good idea. I Pretty much stopped using my F2(s) because of the FE2.

I used to have two F2As(s) and an F2, no meter. I really wish I had at least two of them now. One to beat and one to paper. It�s fun to use classic equipment and the F2SB is a very capable camera. It�s the first Nikon with SBC cell metering. Being able to use really cheap classic pre AI lenses is another reason.

Rob, buy it and ask her. If she wants something else keep it!

I gotta agree 100% with John Newell. One shouldn't imprint one's own nostalgia on someone else's likely needs and desires. As I said, if the goal is to get something for which she can use cheap pre-AI glass, get a Nikkormat FTn for under $100. If the goal is to get her the most practical tool that she can learn on and grow with if she develops into a serious photographer, then I would NOT recommend going the pre-AI, f5.6 Rumba route. The list of candidates among practical, rugged Nikons really ought to be: FM2n, FE2, FM3a, F3, and if budget is a big concern, an FM. Nostalgia might persuade me to include the F2A in the list, but does she really need a 3 lb. main battle tank of a camera like that when the F3 weighs a pound less, is just as rugged, has much more advanced features, and costs the same?

<i>the f/5.6 Rumba</i><p>

I like that! <grin> Well, I do like classic equipment, too...I was surprised at myself when I finally bought an F4. I have, and use, an F2AS and an M3. My first Nikon was a Nikkormat FTn circa 1972 so I definitely remember the 'rumba' -- but I have to say that I really don't miss that! I'm guessing that making the on-ramp just a <i>little</i> bit easier wouldn't be bad, though it really depends on personality and preference. Based on KEH prices right now, an F2AS looks like a it has a better bang:buck ratio than the F2SB, which seems to have a collectible or scarcity premium built into the pricing. (I hope this doesn't come across as trying to argue...just my opinion, and really wanted to laugh with fond (and old!) memories evoked by the 'rumba' reference.)

Hi all

First I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and opinions. It was really helpful to see this question from different prospectives.

Secondly, I took my sister into the camera shop and showed her the cameras that were in our price range. Of course, she liked the point and shoot style digitals, but that won't help her in photo class. She didn't like the F2sb, thought it was too heavy. He had a used FM10, which I didn't like at all. But she did like a really clean FM2, black with a 50mm f/1.4 lens and some sort of a tokina zoom. Actually not a bad little wide angle zoom. Solid little thing.

It also had a 1/2 case, manual, and one of those "old 70's" style multi colored bright straps. The wide ones, the "hippie" straps. The dealer threw in a vivitar flash and 4 rolls of film for practice. I think she already shot them all of of the yard, dog, friends and her car.

Thanks again, I myself, liked the F2, but she thought it was too heavy

Thanks

Rob

"Life is really just a series of photos"

• 7 years later...