Button versus Lever rewind M2's

tony_salce

The button rewind works just fine. Holding the button in while rewinding isn't a big deal. The lever rewind bodies, for a large part of their production, were available both with and without a self timer. The ones with a self timer were cataloged as M2-S, at least in the U.S. catalogs. In the early 1960's the M2 was $200, the M2-S was $250 and the M3 was listed at $288.

I have never heard that before. My lever rewind (LR) M2 with no self timer is pretty

darn smooth. Most button rewind (BR) cameras have to have the button contiuously

held down while rewinding. This is a major pain* and why BR cameras are cheaper

than LR cameras. The last BR cameras have a button that locks down and are just as

easy to rewind as a LR camera but still are cheaper due the stigma of having a BR.

* Remember you also have to hold the rewind knob from spinning back too.

My M2 has a button rewind release, and all I do is push it in and rewind. I don't have to hold it or keep the rewind lever from spinning. DAG installed the quick load into the camera and CLAd it not too long ago, so maybe he has assisted the ease of operation. My only complaint is that the button is too easy to push in accidentally. Then again, all you need to do is pull it back out with a fingernail.

Find a lever rewind. The button rewind is prone to getting pushed by accident when shooting vertically causing unwanted double exposures. Also, the lever units hold their value much better than those with the button. On the other hand, I would look for the button model with a self-timer to be a collectable at some point; there were very few of these produced.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra