WTB: 2-4 or 2-13 screen

akochanowski

I have yet to obtain a 2 series screen, but have seen conflicting information about their merits.

Firstly, I gather the Olympus screens have an identical brilliance to Beatie screens - is this correct?

Secondly, I have seen the benefit in light gain described as up to two stops, but more trustworthy info suggests a gain closer to 2/3 stop in OM cameras. Which is true?

Thirdly, am I right in assuming only manual mode cameras (OM1, OM2)which meter in the prism would need correction/recalibration to compensate?

Hi Kieran, I have the Oly 2-series screens...

<p>

<i>"Firstly, I gather the Olympus screens have an identical brilliance to Beatie screens - is this correct?"</i><br>

No Idea - I don't have a Beatie screen to compare.

<p>

<i>"Secondly, I have seen the benefit in light gain described as up to two stops, but more trustworthy info suggests a gain closer to 2/3 stop in OM cameras. Which is true?"</i><br>

Again, no idea - but the screens look <i>a lot</i> brighter; as 1 stop only looks a bit brighter in the viewfinder, I'd "estimate" the screen to give the 2-stop brightness increase.

<p>

<i>Thirdly, am I right in assuming only manual mode cameras (OM1, OM2)which meter in the prism would need correction/recalibration to compensate?</i><br>

Yes, that would be true - the OM-2(n) will also be OK on auto mode, although the meter needle will show an incorrect reading.

<p>

I use the screens in my OM-4T and my OM-1n: the OM-4T is fine of course, the OM-1 has had its meter adjusted, and seems fine with a nice bright view! My OM-2n gets to keep the old screen...

<p>

One more thing you should know: the brighter screens show less DoF effects, making focussing more difficult (but at least you can see!). I've used my OM-4T, 2-4 screen, and 21mm F2 together, and had <i>no</i> trouble seeing/focussing at night - this is fine by me!

Do the OM screens have a microprism collar as well as split image? I don't think this is not available on the Beattie screens, and I do find the microprism useful on occassion. Conversely, I do like the idea of scribe marks, which is an option with the Beattie's. I sometimes struggle to keep my horizon level through the viewfinder, although it looks painfully obvious on the slides.

actually I have a 2-13 on one body and am looking for another for a second body. I do like it, it appears tp be a 1 stop increase in brightness and I have no problem focusing. Other than the cost ($75) of the Beattie, I am concerned about these because I heard that the company had been sold, quality wasn't that great and the screens were a bit yellow. I have no first hand info on that but before spending $75 I want to explore the OEM route.