knows.

What would be wrong with the option of getting a Microtek 120tf

and using it to scan my 35mm negs...full frame using the glass

carrier?

Any feedback would be great.

All good,

MH

to see work: http://www.hintlian.com

Michael, you probably already have your answer but I�ll add another anyway. I have a Canon FS4000 and now scan full frame having filed out the neg carrier. I�ve been going through my negatives shot with an Eos Elan iie (50e in UK, in fact I am in the UK but happened upon a 2nd hand US version!) and an Eos 500n. I have noticed that the two cameras have a slightly different exposed negative size, the Elan iie being slightly smaller. Therefore I tend to get a larger black border with the Elan iie and would probably have gotten away without filing out the neg carrier had I not also been scanning in neg from the 500n.

The test photos on my log-in were scanned with the cut out neg file on my fs4000 if you want to see how the border compares with a full frame dark-room print. Generally three of the edges have the bruised, rough look and one is straight. The straight edges are the edges of the scan area and the rough edges are the filed down neg carrier. I�ve not been able to position the negs accurately enough to get 4 rough edges but am not overly concerned about this.

Also worth pointing out is that in the darkroom I had only one cut out, slightly large neg holder. Because of this all my prints had similar looking borders. I know I could have cut out a range of holders but never got round to it. With the scanner you have 6 possible cut outs depending which frame of the neg holder you use, and therefore more variety. A small point but useful.

Cheers.... Tim.

I was partly wrong.

Upon closer inspection the slide carrier itself actually goes right up to the edge of the picture, and sometimes a little over, while the scanning software itself scans quite a bit outside this area. In other words I mistook the black of the slide for the black of the slide carrier.

Sorry for getting your hopes up.

Yes, the Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 does full frame scans. In fact, it actually overscans a tiny bit. I'm confused by the prior post, because the openings in my scanner's slide holder are definitely larger than the visible part of the slide in its mount. The actual default size of the scan, as measured by me, is 24.6mm x 36.7mm, certainly a full frame overscan.

I'm talking about the strip holder, not the mounted slide holder. The mounted slide holder definitely leaves lots of extra room around the mounted slides I tried it on.

On the other hand, the strip holder doesn't really leave any extra room, and covers the very edges of the image. If you try to scan color negative film you'll quickly see whether it's scanning outside the image area or not. The unexposed negative will be black and the film holder will be white. On mine I only get a tiny black stripe on one side, while the rest of the frame is white, which indicates the image is covered by the holder.

Personally this issue is not important to me. It only covers a tiny fraction of the edges of the image anyway, which seems very insignificant.<div>005QxH-13446684.jpg.5a35c34cdf172693a5d16c9d2daad754.jpg</div>

I just purchased the 5400 and plan to take it out of the box on Saturday. The shop that sold it to me wants me to drop off some images which I will do -- I am an exteme beginner in the digital world so I will need others to provide feedback.

I plan on scanning an image of the road on the way to Jerome Arizona. It is of the clearing when you first see Sedona in the background. I want to pull out the detail in the shadows. It was listed at 895 and I thought I was going to get a 10% student discount but all I got was $860.

Eric