1/4000 shutter speed can freeze bullet?

from earthy

While the range used 231 for its commercial reloads, I was used to, and more comfortable with Bullseye. Even then, there was a great deal of variation when so little poweder is used. I also tried combinations of FFFFg (priming powder) and Bullseye. Slightly less variation, but about the same speeds. I NEARLY went so far as to make up some 38 cases by hand out of brass on my lathe. The idea was to use a shotgun primer alone to fire the bullet. Interest sort of gave out when everyone had a picture of themselves firing with the bullet in mid air in front of them.

Crude measurement showed the barrels recoiled about 15 degrees, no matter who was shooting.

The sound trigger was the old Wein job. I'm not sure if its still made. It was on the floor and I experimented with distance a little to get the bullet distance just about right. For me, that meant getting the bullet AFTER the ejecta cloud passed it, and before it passed the cloud again. The timing there is sort of neat, since the bullet comes out first, the cloud follows, the bullet is overtaken by the cloud, but the cloud slows down rapidly, and the bullet passed again (this time forward) through the cloud.

I shot with Canon F1 stuff (FD) back then...oops this is the Nikon forum... oh well they'll get over it, anyway the one guy had an F2 and it was used from time to time as well.

I'd like to recant/modify my earlier slit remark too, since it just occurred to me (F1 and Leica M shooter that I am) that the Nikons are likely to have vertically moving shutters and hence you'd get the slit image only if the camera was held in portrait fashion.

• 1 month later...