Nikon Dilemma

matthew_rader

"Unfortunately, funds

are of a concern and while I do realize that I have to spend to receive I?d also like to be able to eat."

Listen to David, he's right. Nikon is supporting their AIS lenses

with their new digital cameras such as the D2H. You don't have

much to worry about.

I think the FM10 is one of the greatest cameras available because

it's light and very easy to use. No other manufacturer makes

such a light and reliable manual body at such a low price point.

Added to that, the AIS manual lenses are of a build quality to

price ratio that no other manufacturer can match either.

And it would be very difficult to improve the optical quality of the

28mm f/2.8 AIS and the 105mm f/2.5 AIS unless you move to a medium format. Just keep what you have and blow people away with your

photos. And when they ask what camera you use, show 'em your FM10!

What Steve said. However, the weakest chink in your armour is the 35mm-70mm. Get a cheap 50 F1.8 and you'll see the difference. (I don't have a FM10, but I have the equivalent FE10. It is permanently mated to my pancake lens. Galen Rowell uses a FM10 once in a while because it is so light-weighted, so it is nothing to be worry about as long as it works.)

I wouldn't worry too much about G-type lenses yet. The cheap ones often have non-G counterparts/equivalents, and the expensive ones are expensive enough that you can probably justify an N75 if you really want to get one of those. In my opinion, the only one that's worth worrying about at this point is probably the 24-85 ED-IF AFS.

<em>"Galen Rowell uses a FM10 once in a while because it is so light-weighted..." --Johnson Cheung</em><br>

<br>

If I remember correctly one of the primary photographs used for advertising the F100 in various media was shot by Galen Rowell using the FM10. This info may be in a column printed in Outdoor Photographer magazine a few years back.

Right now the N90's are great deals. I picked up a mint N90s off ebay for $300 and am really pleased with the camera so far. Much better build then my N80 and much faster AF as well. It will work with G lenses, though not in full manual mode. I think the N90 is a great buy right now considering how cheaply you can get them for.

Matthew,

At this point, there is no reason that you cannot expect to continue using your AI/AIS lenses. Even when you go to digital. The D1 series will meter with them (center and spot) as will the announced D2h. The D2h will even allow Matrix metering with them.

The N90s or the F4 would be good choices in a used AF body that will meter with AI/AIS lenses. If you want a new body that will meter with your current lenses, the F100 is the lowest priced option.

If you don't care about Aperture Priority and Manual exposure modes, the G lenses will be useable on the N90s and F4. If you want or need to use either of these modes, avoid G lenses with these bodies.

If you decide to continue with your FM10, any of the non G AF lenses (other than the IX for the APS bodies) will function just fine on your existing body.

One potential pitfall would be the manual focusing feel of some of the AF lenses. Many of them will have a "loose" feel to the focusing ring, others will have a fairly short focusing throw that can make precise focusing difficult.

Another problem area will be the variable aperture zooms. If you change the focal length after setting the exposure, you will need to remember to check the meter reading again. On my 70-300mm AF-D lens, there are about five or six steps in the change in aperture when zooming from 70mm to 300mm. This lens looses a full stop; at 70mm the max aperture is f/4 and the min is f/32, at 300mm the max is f/5.6 and the min is f/45.

I hope this helps.

Vernon