Viewer for the Hasselblad Flexbody

michael_kravit

Sorry, but this is off topic.

I have been considering buying one myself, but have been put off by the seemingly

complex process of taking pictures. Also, I am not too happy to give up the incamera

metering of my 200 series blad. I mainly want to use it for it's selective focus

potential and for the limited shift capabilities, while avoiding a viewcamera which

could accomplish both.

Therefore, I would like if you could share with us your experience on using the

flexbody. What application are you hoping to use it for ?

Also, would appreciate if you could post some of your early images with this device.

I too was worried about the "complex" exposure process that some people speak of. So I got together with a firend who has one and tried his out. Here is what I found.

Compared with my 4x5 Ebony Viewcamera the Flexbody is small, lightweight and very simple. The operation is straight forward after just 5 minutes of reading the manual.

You simply set up the camera, attach a lens and either use the ground glass of a view finder. You turn a knob on top of the camera to open the shutter.

You compose the image and add tilt for the selective focus you are referring to. Obviously it operates just like a view camera does and will allow you to place the plane of focus as you please.

Next you remove the ground glass and attach a film back. The ground glass comes off with the pressing of a simple latch button.

Next you press the shutter release slightly to close the shutter. You remove the darkslide and press the cable release the rest of the way to take the picture.

It is simple, fast and very easy. In essence, it is no different than shooting with a viewcamera be it 6x9, 4x5 or 12x20 except you are not lugging around a lot of equipment. Just remember that the movements are not as extensive as view or field cameras.

Mike

Mike--I'd also strongly recommend the RMfx finder. It helps tremendously to

be able to see the image rightside up--at least it sure helps me. The RMfx is

light and inexpensive (as Hasselblad finders go). A 45 degree prism finder

will not display an upright image--fortunately it's not really necessary and is

heavier as well.

Lawrence -- I find that the explanation of how to use the Flexbody is much

more complex than the actual use. As Mike found, in practice it's pretty

starightforward. A small light meter (I use a Sekonic L-208) worn around the

neck or tucked into a pocket makes metering pretty simple.

http://www.photo.net/photo/1267273&size=lg