Shintaro Painted Leicas - Would like to see photos of various examples.

Hi, I often see posts of people who have added unique camera leathers

which I always find fascinating. So I was wondering does anyone have

a pic of their Shintaro Paint jobs? I have noticed some unique

colours listed, like the olive and ivory hammertone, and would love

to see what they look like. And those that have had it done how is it

wearing? I think the pink hallo kitty M3 (which i thought was

horrible) just got my curiosity going so I thought I would ask for

photos of your customized Leica. More camera leather pics most

welcome too. Just for a bit of fun! Lets see the good, the bad, and

the ugly!

THanks

Shintaro must use some magic stuff. This morning someone posted an M-2 for $500... someone could have it painted for another $500 and still get another body for less than what someone else is asking for a single, already painted, M-2.

If you want the paint job, make sure you have it done yourself. People have their heads in the clouds with regard to how much their 'black paint' cameras are worth.

Jerry, I thought the same thing at first but then I went back to the first photo with Tom and you can see it there on the table which would be very hard to fake via photoshop.

Sam, im not too concerned about values so much for this thread, just wanting to see some fun Leica finishes out of curiosity. I would suspect most who get them repainted intend on hanging on to them forever. Some look very elegant though.

Sam A said "If you want the paint job, make sure you have it done yourself."

We tend to know how much genuine black paint Leica's are worth. But for the Shintaro paint jobs the nomenclature gets clouded because his are above the basic level. Let's be frank, to paint a Leica black is no big deal. A very few tools and it all comes apart, and a quick waft of black spray finishes the job. Except, Shintaro first strips the chrome off and reveals the brass body. This attention to detail ensures that the painted camera wears in the same manner as the Leica original, whether black paint or any other colour. Cheap paint jobs abound on Ebay or in the camera press, often with a premium rather than a negative value for their 'chrome' underpinnings. Shintaro on the other hand offers a genuine 'retro' service that doesn't cut corners, and assumes that at the end of the day you will eventually see brass as opposed to chrome when the paint wears off.

It's rather a bit more complicated than this, but stripping to brass is not diccult with the correct chemicals. Still, I would not propose this as a DIY project for the faint-hearted. Merely spray-painting over the chrome is a fool's errand, as you suggest. I wouldn't recommend spray-painting over brass, either. It's very easy to flood the engravings. I use a Paasche airbrush, which offers exquisite flow control for paint density.

Chandos

I did not mean to actually paint the camera yourself... I'm saying to send an unpainted camera direct to Shintaro for him to paint. This seems to be much less expensive (for some mystical reason) than buying one he has already painted (from someone else).

Sorry for bringing up price Joel, but it is rather pertinent to those who would make such a purchase.