Nikon D1 or D100?

eric_.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a digital camera and I have the opportunity to buy a

second hand Nikon D1 with "low mileage" and in mint condition for the

same price as a used D100 in equal condition.

Of course the D1 is a pro camera, built accordingly, wherethe D100 is

more in the prosumer range. But the D100 has 6 megapixels to 2.6

megapixels for the D1. Is resolution the determining factor if you

had to choose? Can you please share your thoughts on this one?

What would you choose?

Thanks.

I would go for the D100. I was using the D1 when it was new, it had some problems with white balance consistency and accuracy. The body is quite nice. The D100 has a decent body, but it is not as tough as the D1. The D1 did show some noise in the dark areas of the photo, I have not noticed this to the same extent on the D100. The D100 allows you to shoot photos in a little faster sequence. On the D1, there is a little delay in between shots. Usually it is not too bad, but I found when using it for sports it seemed very long. The AF on the D100 is not great, I don't remember the D1's AF, so I can't compare it. I think the metering on both were fine, the D100 can't meter with older lenses, I don't know about the D1. I would go with the D100, it is a great camera and will last as you take care of equiptment.

Just like the film-based F5, the D1 has color-matrix metering and uses the same fast Multi-CAM 1300 AF module, which is still the best from Nikon for cameras on the market, but I would imagine that the Multi-CAM 2000 on the up-coming D2h will be better. The D1 is better build. However, IMO the killer is 2.7MP vs. 6MP.

For that one reason alone, the D100 should be the better choice for most people, as 2.7MP will be very marginal for even 8x10 prints. However, in case you need fast AF but not high resolution, perhaps the D1 is the better choice for you. Unless you provide more info on your needs, only you can decide.

Hi Eric,

I was in a similar dilemma. I chose to get a D1 because it suits my style of photography. D1 is a faster camera in terms of autofocus, shutter lag and buffer size. It can take 4.5 fps upto 21 images continously. Shutter lag is almost as fast as an F5. Since I like action oriented photography, like concerts and sports, this suits me very well. Of course I have to live with limitations of 2.7MP, long exposures noise and a lot of photoshop retouch.

If you're looking to blow out your pictures beyond 10x11 inch, and dont really care about speed, better noise control for long exposures (beyond 3 seconds)and want better out of camera pictures, D100 will be best for you. If you're looking for speed, tanklike body and awesome autofocus, compatibility with older lens, D1 is for you.

Under the right conditions, even my crappy 3mp Canon S30 has been able to capture

a file good enough for a very good 8x10 print. I have to believe that the D1's 2.7mp

would be able to match that, and therefore I have my doubts that such prints would

be "marginal".

YMMV I guess. But if you need the faster response time, better handling, and deeper

memory buffer, the D100 is not going to do it for you, and the D1's relative lack of

resolution might be an OK tradeoff to make.

• 4 months later...

<i> Under the right conditions, even my crappy 3mp Canon S30 has been able to

capture a file good enough for a very good 8x10 print. </i><p>

Pete: aren't you the guy who in February of 2000 wrote, <b><i>"I'll start using digital

cameras when they pry the last roll of tri-x that i can buy out of my cold stiff fingers."

</i> </b> <p>

Heehee.