Help cleaning lens on a Graflex Series D

bob_myers4

My dad gave me his Graflex RB Series D camera some 20 years ago. It's

been in the box until yesterday. Seems in good condition but there is

gunk on the lens -- appears to be inside.

The instructions on lens care in the manual says:

"If the inner surfaces require cleaning, the utmost care should be

observed to remove the lens elements one by one; clean and replace

each before others are taken out. When replacing these elements screw

them securely in place but do not use excessive pressure."

Does anyone have experience doing this? Instructions posted anywhere?

Recommendations?

The actual lens on the camera is a 5X8 Bausch & Lomb - Zeiss Tessar

Series 1C

Thanks

The reason to take and to reassemble the lens elements one by one is not to get confused over the lens elements. If you remove only one at a time there will be no problem to reassemble it. Sometimes lens elements are very similar in diameter and shape. Arranging them the wrong way will severely degrade lens performance.

The threads the lens mounts and retainer rings are screwed into are fine threads in soft material (brass or aluminium). They get cross-threaded very easily when applying too much power or forcewhen screwing them in again. It is good practice to turn the lens mounts or retainer rings backwards first with very little pressure until you notice a faint click. Now you are in the correct position at the beginning of the threads and you should be able to screw them in with minor force.

There are a thousand or more recommendations for lens cleaning. I usually use lighter fluid to remove all smudge (and vinegar to remove any fungus or haze) and finally clean them with the lenspen. To keep the lens dust free inside as far as possible, I blow all lens element surfaces in a laminar stream with canned air just before inserting them.

Thanks, Winfried and Marco...

So, to actually get at the glass lens elements, one unscrews the front ring? Then they slide out?

I haven't tried to remove the lens assembly (or lens board) yet. I'm trying to layout the proceedure before I start with the screw driver and clamps.

Sorry to ask basic questions -- I haven't taken a lens apart before. Looks like it will be a good experience!