current version. The current version is indeed smaller and more

ergonomic, but the older version is more economical, with more

common batteries. Any words of wisdom here? BTW, I want a motor,

not a rapid winder. Thanks.

The old ones usually require a fair amount of adjustment to work

well. As far as the battery issue goes, the 2 small batteries

(lithium CR123) in the current Motor-M last for yonks (often 100

rolls or more).

The older winders *may* need adjustment (a simple task) but many do not. The ability to use common AA's including lithiums and NiMH rechargeables is a huge advantage over the current winder, as is not having that awful battery case-tube in the way of your grasp of the camera. The older winders are also a whole lot cheaper than the new one! KEH has a bunch of them.

I have used the old M4-2 Winder and, once adjusted, it worked fine. However, I didn't like the weight and size it added to the camera, so I sold it. If you could buy one at a good price you could try it and if you didn't like it then resell it.

Its a choice of cheap and gigantic, or more expensive and smaller. The batteries last for ages on the new M Winder. It feels quite comfy to hold, so long as you understand you don't 'need' to get your fingers around the grip/battery holder. The older version is a bargain though.

First, both the Leica offerings for motorized winding aren't what you'd consider a MOTOR on an SLR. Anything faster than 3 FPS isn't possible, do don't expect more.

If price and battery availability is more important than speed, size, weight, and noise, then the older winder should be your choice. Otherwise, I think it's no contest that the new M-Motor is a great product. (The batteries aren't that expensive ordered online.) I've gotten many shots that otherwise would have been missed with the Motor, including when I had a Rapidwinder. I actually like the grip, although I admit that I'd probably like it more if there wasn't a grip. That said, I'm not willing to put up with the older product to lose the grip.

I really like my Motor, in case you haven't noticed.