Recommendations? 50mm Best Summicron

I'll second Marke's recommendation. I have the same lens without the dual range option (same optical configuration). The Leitz catalog # is 11118 and is the 7-element version. It's a fine lens and is of the heavier chrome-on-brass construction. You really can't go wrong with any of the versions but this one has been a long time favorite.

As mentioned on other threads, the silver chrome lenses look best on the chrome bodies whereas the black lenses look fine on both the silver chrome and black bodies.

The DR is very sharp and I was very satisfied with the color rendition....just don't shoot into the sun (or ANY strong back light situation), it flares like crazy! I use to have one and when shooting into the sun (sun NOT in the frame) and the negs were not printable.

Some say the 3rd version is excellent (not Puts) and others say the current version is the best. Can you rent/borrow to check? You also might want to test a 50 F:2 Hexanon.......you'd be surprised at the contrast and sharpness!

<I>I'd appreciate any recommendations and reasoning...</I><P>

<B>Recommendation</B> - Either of the last two computations, 11817 or 11819.<P>

<B>Reasoning</B> - Contrast!<P>

All of my chrome Summicrons (5 in all) including the DR were sold after seeing my slides shot with my then new '80s vintage 11819. Later I got a 11817 with a used M4, and side by side testing (looking at shots of real subjects, not test charts) show that both of these later lenses were so close in performance that a coin toss would assure that you got a great lens. At least this is my experience.

I have personally used all the computations and they all are excellent lenses. As you can see there are lots of opinions. I personally prefer the last computation with a separate hood and focusing tab but that is a personal preference. Frankly as you can figure out this forum can't help you to nail down an exact answer. You now need to try to use all the possibilities come to your own conclusion. You will certainly say where can I try all these lenses even if one could afford them all. I didn't say that it would be easy. My best advice pick a price point and then go from there.

James,

Whatever you choose, it will be difficult to make a bad choice.

I have both the DR and the latest (tabbed) model. I concur that the contrast of the DR is not as good as the latest model (but you have to look close), but really haven't noticed much flare in the DR. Then again I always use a hood.

As to which one I use, it pretty much boils down to the emulsion I'm using. Chromes and B&W with the DR, and the later version for color negative. I truly believe the DR was formulated for Kodachrome. Others may worry about the future of film; I worry about the availability of Kodachrome.

Construction? Hands down either the DR or the rigid version.

If you go for the older versions in chrome be careful. Coatings from that era were not as tough as todays are (from about the mid 60's), and many, many of the early ones have fog to one extent or another. This is one lens I wouldn't buy sight unseen unless you have a firm MBG, or you know the seller well.

I'm sure you'll be pleased with any of them though. Their reputation is solid and well earned.

Best,

Jerry

Today, I'll go for a �50 years Summicron�, before it's to late.

Last computation, best look, separate lens hood, best resale value.

Look at <a href="http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/magazine/Summicron/

historycron.html">Erwin Puts' review</a> and at

<a href="http://www.leica-camera.com/produkte/msystem/objektive/normal/

index_e.html">Leica Camera lens chart</a>

Any Summicron made since 1979 has the same design. Get the cheapest in good nick. Since they all focus to .7mm, get minimal focus stop adjusted on M3,M2; because they are the best f2 Leica has to offer coating/ flare/ contrast etc. If you like a tab, I agree thats nice, if what's on offer doesnt, get used to it.

If Im doing 400print film, I use a collapsible; if Im doing exhibition work, I use the above.

The new late 1990's #11619 LTM 50mm F2 Summicron rigid mount only focuses to 1 meter; it has a 39mm mount ; is chrome and heavy.............I use this on old screw mount bodies and M series cameras with adapters......It can also be used for 16mm; and video; with my Leitz LTM to C mount adapter.........The chrome rigid lenses of all types are brass; and heavy; add this to the mixture........<BR><BR>The old collapsable M series Summicron is fun to use; compact; and fun to use