Fuji Frontier ICC and Elements 2.0

I just got a Canon 10D, it's working perfectly, and it's time to make

some prints.

I'm looking at Shutterfly, Adorama, and the local Walmart, so I've

been reading about the ICC profiles for Fuji Frontier printers and

downloaded a profile from the Pop Photo site.

The only problem is, how do you set this in Elements 2.0? Following

the directions at Pop Photo, I went to Edit and Color Settings, but

instead of "scrolling through the profiles in the Working Color Space

setting," I just get a choice of no, limited, or full color

management. And when I save a photo, all I can do is put a checkmark

in the ICC profile for sRGB.

It's okay if I can't do it, but if there's a way, I'd like to know.

Also, just how important is setting the profile for Fuji printers,

and what steps can I take in Elements to optimize my photos for

printing on these machines?

Thanks,

P.S. For others who are in the same boat, I just searched around a bit more on this site and, as way leads to way, I was reading an interview when I found a link to a site which has a great intro to working with Fuji Frontier printers.

It even has three levels you can work at - beginner, intermediate, and advanced.

http://www.bermangraphics.com/press/frontier.htm

Corel Photo-Paint 9 can convert profiles. I believe this capability has been part of CPP since version 7.

Now, if you want to batch convert to a particular printer profile, for free (and you're not cursed with a Macintosh) I'd suggest LCMS and some of it's companion programs.

http://www.littlecms.com/

Download and install the basic lcms110.zip file. Then download and install the TIFF and JPEG profile appliers. These are command line utilities, you'd have to make some batch files to apply them to batches of files, but the profile conversions are top notch.

Ciao!

Joe

Steven,

PS Elements has the same crazy assumption used by packages such as Paint Shop Pro and Corel Photo-Paint: The only RGB printer you will use is connected directly to your computer. PS Elements does not allow conversion of a file to any profile other than sRGB or Adobe RGB. The others will let you convert to a CMYK profile for remote printing, but not to an RGB profile.

If you use Windows you have several cheaper options than the full-boat Photoshop. As mentioned above, the littlecms set is free and performs reasonable conversions. QImage converts well and even allows softproofing. Picture Window Pro is the closest to a full-fledged editor of the batch. Just be sure to use Windows ICM for the color management rather than the doggy Kodak CMS (am I actually recommending a Microsoft color solution?!?).

• 3 weeks later...