kodak polydal ( portrait and commerical) developer - ever used it?

jnanian

hi

i recently came across a few cans of polydal developer when moving my darkroom to

another location ... any idea what this stuff is like? i develop by inspection, so i don't

need development times or anything like that ...

thanks!

- john

Polydol was a general purpose tank developer used in a lot of studios because of it's long keeping properties with replenishment. The stuff would last almost forever. I used it in a nitrogen burst tank line. I haven't used it for 30 years so I forget all of the details.

From an old photo lab index:

"Polydol developer is free from the high peak of activity charcteristic of most developers when they are freshly mixed."

Just for reference: Tri-X in tray @ 68 deg. is 6 min. with continuous agitation.

Short answer is probably that it will work just fine.

My concern would be that you might have a 3.5 gallon mix and you should not try to mix a partial batch. All or nothing. If you open the can and the powder is brown, then I would toss the developer and use the can for pencil holder.

thanks wayne and kelly!

i bought a few small cans of the stuff at a deep discount maybe 6 years ago and never

used it. i re-discovered it when i moved my darkroom ... and just wanted to have an

idea what sort of developer it was ... i have been processing with ansco 13o for

about 2-2.5 years now, and if i can find an empty brown jug, maybe i'll mix up a can

of this stuff :) ... that is if it isnt' brown ( THANKS wayne!)

thanks for the developing times, at least i'll know when to turn my green light on!

- john