Can anyone actually focus with a PM90?

paulrumohr

After having briefly purchasing and returning a PM90 recently, I have to ask- What were

they thinking?

You figure that someone wanting to purchase a 90 degree straight through viewing prism

is seeking an experience similar to that enjoyed by 35mm shooters. I intended to shoot

some action and high view/angle set ups with the prism, only to discover that while I

could get the point of view desired, I might as well have had a monkey on my shoulder

focussing for me. His guess would have been as good or better than mine.

So there I am looking into the prism at this tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny itsy bitsy image. It's blurry.

I turn the lens, its still blurry. Wait a minute. Did it get sharp there for a second? I think

so. I go back. It's still blurry. F#@k.

OK, in all fairness, I could focus if I carefully concentrated on the split image. But forget

about focusing off center subjects with low or moderate contrast. Forget focus accuracy in

low light. This prism is dark!

And all that concentrating on hunting for focus removed a lot of the advantage of the

direct unreversed view. I think I actually shoot more descisively with the WL tracking my

subject laterally reversed!

I have 20/20 vision. Not better, not worse. My eyes are 32 years old (so is the rest of me)

and the prism made me want to tear my hair out!

Is this some insidious plot between Hasselblad engineering and marketing to get us to

dump our 503CWs and 555ELDs for Hasselblad H1s which have a 2.7X prism

magnification?

What is the problem? Why did Hasselblad engineer a measely 2X prism? Who did they

think could actually use it? Is it some kind of hideous photographic JOKE?

Just a thought (humor me) - have you used other MF SLRs with a prism for

comparison at all? Sometiems a prism can be cumbersome and weird if you're not

used to it. It's also possible that it was just a funky prism and that other individual

prisms may have performed better. I've used a friend's Hassy with some manner of

90 degree prism on it (can't say which one - I don't shoot Hassy myself) and didn't

find it to be at all bad (really only seemed different from looking through my RB or

645 prism in that the frame was square). Maybe you're just so used to the WL that

anything else seems odd, which I think would be perfectly normal.

The view through the prisms on the Contax 645, Hasselblad H1, Pentax 645, Mamiya 645,

& Bronica ETRSi seem fine to me. The non-meter Pentax 67 prism is AWESOME, like

looking through a bay window at your subject- and it's physical size is teenie relative to

the Pentax body. I haven't tried Rollei prisms, but I'm sure they're great.

The PM90 doesn't compare. It is an embarassment.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your message; you saved me a trip to my eye doctor. After using my PM90 for two weeks i have concluded that my eyes are going bad, until i see your message. it's next to impossible to focus without a bright modeling light. I am wondering whether pm45 is better in this regard as it has 2.5x magnification. I much prefer 45 degree finders anyway. Anyone with a pm45 care to share their thoughts?

regards,

Sam

After using Auto Focus equipment in 35 mm for number of years when I started using PM45 on my newly aquired Hassy I also thought the same,

Our eyes just not used to foucsing, with practice & more practice I was able to get over this shock & get my self confidence back. Though I would want to use PM 90 as it gives a vision similar to 35mm cameras but due to its inability to be used with Poloriod back I opted for PM45.

Give the older PM5 a workout. It features an unreversed 3X enlarged viewing image. No adjustable eyepiece but found it so much more suitable over the PM90 even with my 20/20 vision. It's available on *Bay from time to time at about $400-$450 for a fair mint unit.

The 45 prism I used for my Bronica EC was much brighter and focussing-friendly than the 90 degrees prism.

<p>

I love the 45 degrees prism for my Rollei 6008: I hardly use the WLF anymore. Focussing is possible up to right into the corners (great high definition screen is helpful as well).

<p>

Ergo, get a 45 prism.

<p>

Cheers, <a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl">Wim</a>

I suggest you try the PM45, before you give up on a prism. With it's 2.5x unreversed

image, I am very happy with it's performance on my 202FA. In fact, I just switched

from a plain Acute Matte D screen to a split image/microprism Acute Matte D and I

think I much prefer focusing with the plain screen and my prism. As an original

35mm SLR user, I much prefer the near eye level shooting with the 45. Although, a

90 is more eyelevel, I was strongly recommended to avoid the PM90 for a number of

reasons: use of polaroid back,

smaller image etc.

But, this week it has been obvious that most people favor the WLF over any prism. I

am not sure if this is a badge of honor thing, a performance thing, or a plain refusal

to accept some of the modern features of 35mmSLRs.

I had a PM90, which is 2x, also, and could not accurately focus with it, even with the 150 in bright light. Admittedly that was before the microprism/split screen came out. I sold the PM90 for a PM5, which is 3x, and was happier with it. Eventually I sold it for a PM45 because I need the adjustable dioptric eyepiece (standard correction eyepieces are not economical as my Rx keeps changing). The PM45 goes back to 2.5x but now I've got the split/micro screen in both bodies, and have no problem.

The focusing problem you describe sounds like you may need to adjust the diopter using whatever method the PM90's diopter is adjustable? (On my bronica, there is a little twistable knob built in near the eyepiece - if it's not set right, I have the same symptoms you describe despite my 20/20 vision)

Exactly why I bought the PME 90 finder as it HAS diopter adjustment. The PM 90 DOES NOT! Not that I use the meter function (recalibrating while changing lenses in the middle of a shoot is a PITA), but I can adjust for my eyes (with glasses). I don't consider the screen dark, but if you're using a slowish lens in dim light then, yeah, it takes a little work.

That's why I looked into the H1 for its AF feature (BTW, I use A32 and A16 backs when I shoot weddings....comercial assignments are square and with a PM45), it's a nice camera but the zoom lens is a monster!!! No way can you mount it on a flash bracket and hand hold it (well maybe you can if you have more muscles than I do).

Check out the PME 90 and see if it helps.