A airport film question I have yet to see

bob_doroh

Just another datapoint. I have never bothered hand-checking in the past (I'm a consumer using consumer grade film) but decided to give it a try this time because I had some leftover film that had been scanned a couple times on another trip. Went Detroit to LA and back last weekend. Both places had signs about hand-checking that say something like it's safe to scan film but hand-checks may be requested particularly for ASA800 or above (no mention of the five-time rule). When I requested a handcheck, security personnel in both places asked me the ASA to which I replied something like "ASA 400 but it's been scanned five times already..." The personnel then granted my request. I apologized to the guy in LAX for the hassle but he seemed in good humor having only to deal with my half a dozen rolls. He said sometimes people come through with 100 rolls and ask for hand inspection. I imagine LAX probably has more film fly through it than anywhere else so I can see why they might give people a hassle, especially if they are busy (or lazy).

Both places also made everybody remove their shoes and put it them through the x-ray which seemed kind of odd. I wonder what they do on rainy, muddy days.