Hexar Discontinued????

Just read on another photography forum that a member said that the

Konica Hexar has been discontinued for US distribution. He had no

post or quote to confirm this. Does anyone here have word of this?

Or do you suspect, just a rumor?

Can't remember if I read it or I dreamed it but there might have been

a price reduction on the Hexar kit at B&H in the newest PopPhoto.

Confirmation, anyone??

Tood et al,

yes, the Hexar/Hexar RF is no longer distributed in the US, however, it is available in Europe and APAC. There was some ink about this early in the Summer, or was it last Spring.

It is still availble at B&H and a few places, but needless to say, they won't get any more kits/cameras, but it will be supported in terms of service by Konica/Minolta for years to come. For how long though is anyone's guess.

Cheers,

Yes it is no longer "officially" imported into the US, however my local camera shop has a couple of kits, and the big mail order places still have them. They are also still sold world wide, it's not like they stopped making them. Anybody want to take bets "Stephen" will become an importer?

Gerry

Being an owner of a previously new Hexar RF (I bought it from someone on this forum) this camera was the best thing since the M7, actually better, fast loading, built in motor, higher shutter speeds, etc. Unfortunately the marketing department was bottom rate, unlike the engineers who created it who were top notch. Oh well another "made in Japan blunders" anybody want to sell them another worthless company, or maybe the Red Sox?

Gerry

I have two of them and tested both on a tripod with a Noctilux wide open. Focus was spot on even from minimum focus. Judging from the number of posts on this forum alone doubting M lens compatibility I seriously doubt anything could have saved this camera. Goes to show the power of the internet.

Gerry, maybe now that Minolta and Konica have merged, they'll spruce up the RF? Three small fixes would make the camera a real killer:

1. Guaranteed compatibility with all Leica lenses.

2. TTL flash

3. Silent wind option

But it's more likely that they've 'learned their lesson' (the wrong one) and will never make a real camera again.

I�m sorry to hear this though not surprised from what I have read

about the Hexar RF (very positive from users, with the exception

of the back focus urban-legend/or real problem?).

I have been considering buying one recently. I surely don�t need

it, as I have 2 M bodies and just bought a Contax T3 for when a

Leica M is too big or heavy to carry, but the features are attractive.

I came to the M system from the Contax G, for which my biggest

complaint was the focusing system. One negative (for me) is

that the viewfinder on the RF is only .6 magnification and I prefer

a stronger magnification. Though, the viewfinder reportedly

DOESN'T FLARE!

At least they are still available if one should really want one.

My understanding is that if you send your RF to Konica along with $50, they'll remedy the backfocus problem, making the camera fully compatible with M-mount lenses. So, if the incompatibility is an urban legend, what is it that Konica is doing to these cameras, in supposedly making them compatible? And why are they taking $50 for it?

Doug:

It may be �urban-legend/or real problem?�

Don�t know myself as I don�t own one.

I do know that from reading about the Hexar RF and its �issues�

that people claim: there is a problem, there was a problem, there

is no problem... you name it.

Anyway, another (possibly) cool film camera may be one its

way....................

I seem to recall this being discussed some months ago. Essentially, the dealers weren't selling any product.

As to lens compatability, someone (Jack Flesher, if I remember correctly) posted the results of some measurements of the flange to film distance a year or so ago, showing that on some Hexars there was a difference. The difference was easily solved, however, by carefull removing the lens-mount flange and reducing the number of spacer shims, I think.

Doug I did send my RF to Konica NJ for a focus problem, it was fixed for $50. Actually my hope is since they now own the CL focusing mechanism, a real digital sensor is the Konica-Minolta makes a digital M, but I have a feeling Cosina will come out with one first.

Gerry

I assume that along with the Hexar, the Hexanon-M lenses are discontinued also. A pity because the build quality was great and the optics excellent. Konica has always produced quality optics. During their heyday the Hexanon lenses were used by the Japanese Ministry of Industry as the quality reference standard. And Leica could learn a lesson from them in how to engineer aperture rings that don't blow around in the wind.

Cameras & lenses are a sideline for Konica now, they are an office supplies company. The merger with Minolta seems to be focusing on digital. Go to the Konica Minolta camera site and they're all Minolta.

I gotta share this - I recently talked to a successful pro photog. who is selling out all his Leica M gear (along w/ his 4x5, MFs etc to keep it simple - couple of F100's and top Nikon glass). When I asked him about the Hexar RF he said that is was like wearing a fake Rolex...

Perhaps that there is some truth in that. Sure a fake Rolex or a copy/look-alike made by a respectable manufactures might tell the time as well as the original, but there is still there is that feeling in your guts that you are not wearing/using the "real thing"...

Having said that, I owned a HRF kit and it was a formidable image maker, that with some minor tweaks could have been a great camera.

Patrick:

What I find very interesting is that the pro photographer you are

referring to is not going completely digital. Maybe the Nikons

F-100s are the only film gear he is going to use along WITH his

digital stuff?, though that is not what I got out of your post.

This is encouraging for us Leica/film shooters here who seem to

hear digital, digital, digital..... (and I know you shoot digital too :-)

Cheers to the lowly Leica :-)

"I never thought Konica was ever any competition for Leica in the US, which would explain why they've pulled out of the market."

Yeah, they only produced a technologically superior product which, by anecdotal evidence on this forum, apparently had fewer out-of-the-box defects than Leicas, and sold for far less money. Konica's only mistake was building practical products for a market dominated by consumers who embrace (and pay for) impractibility (impracticality? Whatever).

james et al,

At the end, all of his work is digital, but his scans need to be 55MB+ which no Nikon DSLR produces today without using software tweaking, but then why bother. On top of that he mostly uses 14-24mm lenses, and need something is extremely durable as he shoots on location around the globe.

Then again, he is the first to add when he can produce a 60MB output from a DSLR he'd be the first one to switch...

<i> Perhaps that there is some truth in that. Sure a fake Rolex or a copy/look-alike made by a respectable manufactures might tell the time as well as the original, but there is still there is that feeling in your guts that you are not wearing/using the "real thing"...</i>

<p> On the other hand, if your definition of the "real thing" is a watch that is virtually indestructable, and keeps the most accurate time possible, the relatively cheap Casio G-Shock may be more "real" than a Rolex. It is certainly more accurate.

<p> On my wrist is a heavy stainless and sapphire mechanical watch from a "real" Swiss company, and I have no qualms of admitting that it is a vanity item. I like the style, and feel of it - but a G-shock is more durable and keeps better time.

<p> There are 3 things that would be nice to add to my Hexar: multiple exposure, silent film advance and a higher magnification VF. Even with these minor nits, I think its a spectacular camera. I was going to sell it, but I knew that I would kick myself later on if I did.

<p> Unless Cosina starts making digicams for someone else, I doubt they will produce a digital RF. They basically modify cameras that they OEM for other companies, and sell those as the Bessa series.

<p> I doubt that Minolta/Konica will produce a digital RF. Most of the benefits of RF cameras over SLRs can be achieved without a RF. A digicam with a good viewfinder, full manual controls, low shutter lag, a summicron quality constant F2 35-105 equivalent zoom lens and a low noise, wide latitude 10MP sensor will do most things that people actually _use_ Leicas for.

<p> It isn't very far fetched, and maybe Panasonic will be selling one in 2 to 3 years.