Best "inexpensive" MF Cameras

william_d_correll

William,

First a definition of "inexpensive" is needed...

To some a $10,000 camera system is down-right cheap! (Alas, I am not among their number... :) )

The following are my opinions based on my experience with 6x6 and larger negative size cameras:

Sub $100 - cheap folders - maybe

~$100 to $150: Minolta Autocord and Yashica tlr's

~$200 to $300: Mamiya tlrs(C22, C220, C33, C330) with one lens, Koni-Omega's with one lens, Rolleicords

~$400 to $600: (my current range...) Koni-Omega's with more than one lens, Mamiya RB67's as well as tlr's with more than one lens, maybe an older workable Hasselblad, Rolleiflexs, ...

~$600 to $700: Pentax 6x7's and older workable Hasselblads, and not sure what else since I've not moved to this range yet...

I'm sure you'll get lots of other opinions on this! :)

Regards,

Jim

1. For under $100, Holgas and Yashicamats are fun. In the words of photographer/humorist Ted Orland, "(Holgas) beat Hasselblads at every turn, and for good reason: 1) Holgas float! 2) you don't have to buy a separate $65 Vignetting Filter; and 3) no one bothers to steal them. They're even optically superior, carefully filtering out excessive sharpness so that realism doesn't get mistaken for reality."

2. In the $100-250 range, the aforementioned Mamiya Cs, Minolta Autocords and used Rolleiflexes are swell.

3. In the $250-1,000 range, you can currently get a number of fine used cameras including Bronicas, Hasselblads and a variety of Mamiya SLRs.

The Kiev (the better one, forgot its number, the worse model should not be worth the trouble) is dirt cheap but can provide good pictures (check the equipment before you buy, as with all cheap cameras). It's an SLR, so if you like that it's the way to go.

Among more established SLRs, the RB67 Mamiyas seem to go relatively cheap now on the used market, but they're bigger and much more expensive than Kiev. However, they have their advantages.

The Mamiya TLRs offer decent value and expandability. Not really cheap, but certainly not expensive.

The less-legendary Rolleiflexes (ie. those with a max aperture of 3.5) and Rolleicords are nice for the money. Someone might disagree, but I think they're far more ergonomic than the Mamiya TLRs and thus prefer them.

As in everything, "inexpensive" is somewhat relative (photography is NOT inexpensive, IMO).

Hi,

In a $200. to $300. range, either a Yashica-Mat 124 (NOT "G" MODEL) or a Rolleicord V, Va or Vb. I have used both, currently own a Rolleicord Va and images & colors are the best i've ever achieved. The 3.5 Xenar is a tack-sharp little lens, plenty capable of more than anything I will ever demand from it.

Cheers!

In full SLR systems, the Bronica ETRSi is an outstanding bargain. It hasn't changed for years, even pros use them and there's a huge range of leaf shutter lenses (you NEED leaf shutter lenses). The only fly in the ointment is the lack of a shift lens. Oh well.

I got a Yashica-Mat in good condition and have been very happy with it. It's a great travel camera -- easy to use, light, pretty small for MF. Of course, I'd really love to have a Mamiya 7 for that purpose, but at aboug 6% of the cost, I think I'll stick with the Yashica. The Yashinon lens is a fair performer, and it's got a great look to it -- really smooth bokeh, good sharpness stopped down. It's not the highest in contrast, so I tend to use fairly contrasty films with it; actually, I don't think I've shot anything but Provia 100f for months. Always with a hood, as it flares easily (single-coated optics).

It's just a lot of fun to shoot with; TLRs are so easy to handhold compared to most MF SLRs.

I definitely like almost any used TLR. As a class, the ones that cost under $100 are better than anything else for under $100, and the ones under $200, $300, etc, are as well. The NEW TLRs from Rollei are in no danger of making this list.

I would also put the Koni-Omega RFs into the fray, particularly if a clean one with lens and back is available for well under $200, which is often the case (I paid $108 + $12 shipping for mine, working perfectly). After comparing the useability and results with my Mamiya 7, I immediately sold my Mamiya 7 for $1250 with it's 80mm lens. The results were indistinguishable, and the degree to which the Mamiya was easier to use was small enough that it couldn't justify the huge price difference for me for an occassional use camera.

Since others have already tackled the best value used gear I'll take a shot at best value in new gear. IMHO, despite the *relatively* high price, I'd consider the Mamiya 7 a good value for what you get: top notch optics and a handholdable 6x7.

Best value overall in a new MF system camera? Pentax 67, no doubt about it.

Don't forget 120 folder 6x6 and 6x9 cameras. I recently "discovered" this kind of camera and I have been having great fun with them. Agfa Isolettes and Records are the easiest to get and they are not very expensive: a CLA'd camera can be bought for $125 to $200 depending on which model you wish to own. Zeiss Ikontas and Voigtlander Perkeos/Bessas will be more expensive.

Dennis

Mamiya TLR-wise, the C330 is often mentioned, but I am perfectly happy with my C3, which is somewhat cheaper. And you can mount *any* Mamiya TLR lens pair on it, black or chrome.

Agfa folder-wise, I have an Isolette, which is fun, cheap, and way compact, but its image quality is not as impeccable as the TLR's.

Worthless crap-wise, I bought a Holga for $15, which was a waste of $15. It broke before I even got the first roll of film put in.

CXC

CXC

No one mentioned Pentax 645. The price is certainly very good ($600-$800) for a complete camera (body + 1 120 insert + 75mm f2.8 lens). One thing I like the Pentax 645 is the potential of upgrading. The new Pentax 645N and NII will accept all 645 manual-focus lenses. The new 645 AF lenses will still work with manual-focus bodies. All 645 bodies share the same inserts. Prices of used lenses are very reasonable too. With features like TTL metering, TTL flash metering, built-in prism, and auto film advance, Pentax 645 is certainly one candidate of good value "bang-for-the buck" MF camera.

I'd say that any Yashica Mat-124 or 124G that is selling for more than $125, the seller should be willing to guarantee that the meter is operating. For under $100, the meter is probably a crapshoot or known to be broken.

FYI, I've sold them on ebay for $160-170 in pristine condition guaranteed to be working including the meter. I've also sold an otherwise excellent one except for a broken meter, for $90.

A Yashica Mat, with no meter, is probably worth $60-90 depending on the condition, with $60 being working but clearly well used, and $90 being nearly pristine.

Also do not forget the Koni Omega, I have seen NIH Image analysis of images

from Konika for these systems and Zeiss for Hasselblad, as far as sharpness

goes, the Konika's were comparable, and sell in the $200-300 range, plus

they are built like a tank!

Noooo. Holgas are now way overpriced! I bought a few ages ago for myself & friends to mcuk about with & glue things too. I joked at the time that rather than import 3 I should get 300. Had I have known that they would retail 6 months on for £40 rather than the £10 I paid . . . Still great results though . . & that a bold statement from a hasselblad user. Cheap & cheerful is a fun way to work :)

Gavin

www.urban-landscapes.co.uk

I absolutely adore my Fuji GS645S rangefinder! I can be sifting through rolls and rolls of recently developed 35mm slides, somewhat pleased with the results. And then I put a sheet of photos from my Fuji on the lightbox...

They are so crystal clear they almost make me cry!

The only drawback is having the one focal length, which I'm not used to. But the quality of the photos makes up for it.

Cost me 360 pounds on ebay. you can find them way cheaper in the US.