Traveling Abroad with Medium Format

tobycline

I want to do some traveling to Asia, Europe, across America, etc. I

would really like to do this with a MF camera and a P/S digital.

Based on this, I'd love to hear some opinions on the best MF to

use.

I own the Mamiya 7II, and believe it's perfect for travel, but for

my own reasons, I will probably end up selling it (I like a more

accurate meter, more lens selection, the rangefinder and I just

don't get along.) Sad, indeed, but that's the way it is. What

about Mamiya's AFD? Too big for travel with a few lenses? What do

you suggest?

I would think the M7II would be a great travel camera. It's compact and the lenses are great, and if you want a more accurate meter, then get a handheld meter, which you might need anyway.

What is "too big"? My usual medium format travel kit is a Bronica S2A with 40mm, 50mm, 75mm, 135mm, 500mm and three backs, and then I'll go out usually with one, two or three lenses depending on the occasion. Then again, sometimes I travel with a 4x5" or 8x10" kit, so it's all relative and personal. Lois Connor photographed all around China with a Korona 7x17" camera strapped to the back of a bicycle. It depends on what your goals and limitations are. This isn't really something that someone else can tell you.

I agree with David. "Too big" is really up to you - how much are you willing to carry? A small M645 kit will fit in a LowePro Mini Trekker or similar small pack that can be used as carry-on. My "travel light" kit is a Mamiya 645 Super with one back and 55-110 zoom.

Guy

Not sure about your logic: you said that the Mamiya 7II does not have an adequate meter but most other MF cameras don't even have a built-in meter at all. So what do you do then by switching to other camera? I am lost here. I think by giving up the 7II you are making a big mistake. Mamiya has produced many lenses for 7II camera as far as I know.

Mr. Lin, here is my logic: I could switch to a camera like the AFD or Contax that have pretty good built-in meters or go for something like the 6x17 that I need a meter. I think you missed that I said the 7II is a great camera, but I don't like it because of the rangefinder, etc. Thanks anyway . . .

The P67 is nice, but I hate to think about lugging 4 lenses and the body through Honk Kong or Montana. The AFD with 3/4 lenses doesn't sound too bad. Any others? TLR's, Horseman 612, or just screw it and use an F100 or 1Ds? Thanks,

Mr. Lin, here is my logic: I could switch to a camera like the AFD or Contax that have pretty good built-in meters or go for something like the 6x17 that I could use my Sekonic with. I think you missed that I said the 7II is a great camera, but I don't like it because of the rangefinder, etc. Thanks anyway . . .

The P67 is nice, but I hate to think about lugging 4 lenses and the body through Honk Kong or Montana. The AFD with 3/4 lenses doesn't sound too bad. Any others? TLR's, Horseman 612, or just screw it and use an F100 or 1Ds? Thanks,

What are your goals, what do you want to see on the light table

when you get back? A medium format image requires that you

carry a medium format camera there's no way around this, no

matter how many times this question is asked (check the

archive) the answer is still the same. I just came back from

Spain where I carried a Pentax 645N with four lenses and a

Bronica RF645 with 65mm and lots of film. Four years ago I did it

with an RZ67 and four lenses. Why don't you go and rent the

M645AFd with a few lenses and carry it around for the weekend,

figure out if it's the camera for you. You sell the M7 in this soft

market and you will loose big time, why not keep it add the

ploarizer , experiment with ND grads if you shoot landscape.

A photographer here just published a book using the M711 and

43mm lens, It'a a very long and expensive road to wander down

looking for the perfect MF camera it does not exist.

Photo Du Jour - great book! It sits in my living room. You are right, selling in this market will hurt. The best of both worlds would be to do what you did - travel with a 645 and a rangefinder. I'd love to keep the M7 for all of its qualities AND have something else. It will have to come down $$ on hand. I will certainly rent several types. Thanks.

In fact it's depend on your style to choose your right gear... imagine yourself changing lens in a busy street in Hongkong with a bag full of equipment hanging on shoulder... or will you miss a tripod and long lens for long exposure at dawn in Zion National Park?...How about a correct perspective to shoot in the middle of the Grand Place in Brussels...? good luck

Dan, what would you do? What would work for you? I know one camera can't do it all, but I'm curious to hear what others use and how it works for them. I have my own opinions, but I'd like for people to give convincing arguments as to why their system is best, and what works for them.

For traveling, weight factor is the key. Of course I would bring everything I need for each situation.So...(this my opinon, please hold your fire)... I would take a MF rangefinder with zoom lens or a MF reflex with a lightmeter with a zoom or at least a 80mm and a 50mm, 2 backs preloaded with film. A lightweight tripod to use when I have a chance and a backup handheld lightmeter. I would take a 35mm camera as backup (or a good D-SLR)...otherwise bring as much as you can and make a selection before each outing.... have fun

Hi Toby-

It looks like you want a excuse to get a 645SLR :). I own a mamiya 6, fuji gsw690III, and nikon equipment. I have taken my gsw to Italy for 2 weeks and my mamiya 6 to Greece, both with my nikon and zoom for p&s times and accurate metering. I assume you don't like the 7 because of 1)inaccurate framing WYS is NWYG; 2)no close focusing (no tight portraits and no macro), and 3)no changeable backs. No one can convince you that these three misgivings are worth the 1)compactness, (although the 6 is much more in this regard) 2)large negatives 3) weight 4)wide angle quality, and hand holdability.... which I think are the qualities of the Mamiya 6/7.

As an aside, I might invest in a compact digital p&s to check light quality and subsitute it for the nikon.

good luck,

darron

• 2 weeks later...

I have travelled around Europe with a Mamiya 645 Pro TL and three lenses, two backs, and got some lovely shots - but it's only 'doable' IMHO if you have a car or are extremely fit and well-insured.

The Mamiya 6 or newer 7 MF rangefinders are infinitely preferable because you can shoot hand-held all the time and still get magic pix.

Next time I travel about a bit, I'm taking a 35mm EOS + standard f/2.8 zoom!!!